PDA

View Full Version : 4 saved from the woodstove....

Barry Stratton
11-21-2008, 4:40 PM
A tornado ripped this tree down a couple years ago. I got a piece of the tree while hauling firewood to my house from the farm.

Measaures 9 1/4 x 2 1/4 with a walnut oil finish.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/bearfretworks/HPIM2825700x617.jpg

I love turning ash!

Rescued from a pile destined for the firepit. Measures 12 1/2 x 4 1/4, finished with veggie oil. This bowl will be gifted to my friends who gave us the wood (along with a couple more cords!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/bearfretworks/HPIM2837700x500.jpg

And a WIP................for some reason I don't think I'll be able to vac chuck this one......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/bearfretworks/HPIM2843700x523.jpg

This one still needs to be buffed but.....I was taking pics of other bowls so........

Measures 10 1/4 x 7 and is slightly more than 4 at the tall tip. Finish is Antique Oil.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/bearfretworks/HPIM2834700x447.jpg

Thanks for looking...........

Steve Schlumpf
11-21-2008, 4:46 PM
Barry - you been busy! WOW! Beautiful turnings!

First bowl's color is amazing! Second bowl has a lot of things going on in the wood! Love the curl on the left side! Your work in progress looks challenging! Can't wait to see it finished! Also want to know how you plan on buffing that one! The walnut natural edge is beautiful! Great form, lots of bark and really rich color!

Very nice work! Thanks for sharing and don't take so long next time before posting again!

Richard Madison
11-21-2008, 8:20 PM
Barry,
Very nice work. Favorite is the "pierced" piece in progress. Hope you can save most of the worms' work. Should be very cool.

Steve Kubien
11-21-2008, 8:54 PM
I thought veggie oil would go rancid over time? Further to that, I thought we should avoid olive, and peanut oil for the same reason. Have I got my edible oils mixed up?

Steve Kubien

Bernie Weishapl
11-21-2008, 9:11 PM
Beautiful bowls Barry. You have been busy.

Oh yea the third bowl probably won't hold ice cream or soup either.:D:rolleyes::cool:;)

Barry Stratton
11-21-2008, 9:32 PM
I thought veggie oil would go rancid over time? Further to that, I thought we should avoid olive, and peanut oil for the same reason. Have I got my edible oils mixed up?

Steve Kubien

I've "heard" that many a time Steve. For a bowl that is to be used (and washed often), I fail to see how the oil will have time to go "rancid".

Also, I have a similar sized cherry bowl finished the same way. It hasn't been used or washed in 5 months. It has sat in the sun and on tp of my litchen cabinets. Lets just say "rancid" must take longer than 5 months to exhibit itself:D

Thanks for the comments guys.

Leo Van Der Loo
11-22-2008, 3:36 AM
I second you on that opinion Barry, as I don't use salad oil much anymore, but have used it many years without ill effect, I still have a bottle of Veggie oil sitting on the shelf by my lathe, I used that same bottle for many years, and only refilled it when it got down, last time I picked it up, that oil in there was at least 3 years sitting there, not a thing wrong with it, still oil though, as it doesn't harden up at all, just gets sticky.
And like you say those bowls do get washed, not much oil left on there after a few washings :eek: :D.
Oh and yes nice work Barry, bet even cling wrap wouldn't help you on that wormy one :rolleyes:, hope you had your face shield on, and mouth closed, them bugs don't taste good IMO, had to pluck some parts from between my teeth one time :eek: :eek: :D

Norm Zax
11-22-2008, 6:04 AM
Beautiful work. Keep it coming...

Ken Fitzgerald
11-22-2008, 10:19 AM
It's amazing what you can find in your firewood pile. Beautiful wood and bowls Barry!

Curt Fuller
11-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Barry, those are four beauties! I like them all but the NE Walnut shape with the higher rise on one side really grabs my attention. I'm also looking forward to seeing that bug riddled ash finished.