PDA

View Full Version : Buckeye?

Frank Kobilsek
11-21-2008, 4:27 PM
Last weekend I acquired a 'Buckeye' log and a few bowl blanks helping a 'firewood' crew. There are not many 'Buckeye' trees in my area and I had never turned it before with the exception of a few purchased Buckeye Burl stabilized bottle stoppers blanks.

Last night I rough turned one of the blanks. Cut fine but fairly stringy. My Woodcut coring system did not enjoy its experience at all but it struggled thru. I found the heart wood to be a bit prone to tear out while the sap wood is very thick and plain.

Is my negative first impression of this wood right or wrong? At this point this log might go to the low priority end of wood to be roughed pile.

Frank

Ron Ainge
11-21-2008, 4:37 PM
Hi Frank

We get some Buckeye out here that comes from Cal. that is already spalted and it is highly stained. When dry it is very easy to turn and makes remarkable turnings. I don't know how to make it spalt but if you can find out your may have some real nice wood on your hands.

curtis rosche
11-21-2008, 5:03 PM
i think the blue color is from being exposed to sun light. to get it to do regular spaulting, let it sit outside, and let it stay wet, so mold will grow, you might be able to speed it up by introducing mold from other objects like food, but i am not sure

Tom Wilson66
11-21-2008, 11:32 PM
Heard somewhere you can cause spalting to occur faster if you apply a mixture of beer and luquid fertilizer to the end of the log. Don't know if it would work, but would be a way to get rid of leftover beer, if you have any.:rolleyes: