PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer cast iron extension - any good???

Shawn Honeychurch
11-21-2008, 4:04 PM
Anyone here use the Pioneer Cast Iron extension with router insert?

Linked below:
http://www.houseoftools.com/product.htm?pid=19752

http://www.houseoftools.com/content/houseoftoolscom/images/250/Products/C/CWD/CWD_16_30549.jpg

Looking at this for my Delta contractors saw.

Thanks
Shawn

Justin Leiwig
11-21-2008, 6:52 PM
I haven't heard of it, but for that price it would be hard to pass up.

Doug Mason
11-21-2008, 7:14 PM
I am probably wrong--but if it is associated with Pioneer tools--which I have seen in retail stores, then it is cheap stuff that i personally would avoid.

Michael Roland
11-21-2008, 7:18 PM
Unless I missed something I did not see any details listed at the site. I would wonder about dimensions, how you would mount the router, how you mount a fence, etc.

Sure it's cheap but I'd keep my eyes open for a deal on a Bench Dog. One sold on ebay last week for $135.

There is no router plate so unless your router allows above the table bit changes it's going to be a pain to change bits. For me using that table would require the use of a collet/bit extension and a Router Raiser on a plunge router. Adding the price of those two items gets you almost to the price of a BD table/extension which includes a plate and a good fence.

But I'm biased I have the BD table. YMMV

Shawn Honeychurch
11-21-2008, 7:48 PM
Unless I missed something I did not see any details listed at the site. I would wonder about dimensions, how you would mount the router, how you mount a fence, etc.

Good points, but for the fence I would just use the TS fence, mounting the router is unknown at this time. I'll pop over to HOT next week and take a look.

I have lusted of the BD extension, but it is out of my price range. The regular (non cast) BD top is $130.00 up here, the cast is like $300.00

I'll post what I find when I go and look.

Ray Newman
11-21-2008, 7:53 PM
The ad says "Fits most import table saws."

Red flag to carefully measure the hole spacing on your Delta.

Shawn Honeychurch
11-22-2008, 10:47 AM
The ad says "Fits most import table saws."

Red flag to carefully measure the hole spacing on your Delta.

Noted Ray, good point, I'll measure today.

Shawn

Maurice Ungaro
11-22-2008, 5:16 PM
Of note, on the dimensions: 10" wide is mighty skinny for a table extension. I'd pass on this "deal".

David DeCristoforo
11-22-2008, 7:28 PM
In addition to the concerns raised already, it does not look like there is any kind of "universal" mounting hole pattern. The only spec is that that insert is 4 inches in diameter and I don't know of any routers with bases that small except for trim routers. And I don't see any bolt holes except the two on either side of the insert.