PDA

View Full Version : Very fast laser...

John Stephens
11-21-2008, 2:30 PM
If you had a 100 watt laser that could burn at a speed 15-20 times faster than an "average" conventional laser(lets say a 50 to 60 watt Epilog or Universal) what products do you think would be able to take the most advantage of it's speed. There is one restriction. The active burn area is a maximum of 8" square. Actual piece size could be a maximum of 10" x 12". I have seen this run in person and it is FAST. I'm just exploring whether it would open enough new or lucrative doors to justify it's cost(several times the cost of the mentioned above). One thought is vector cutting parts etc.. something I have never gotten into with my other lasers.
Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

John

Scott Challoner
11-21-2008, 2:38 PM
I assume that's a galvo system. Go to Synrad's website. They have lots of cool applications.

http://www.synrad.com/Applications/video_clips.htm

Phil Garcia
11-21-2008, 2:50 PM
That's some great apps. on the webiste, thanks for info.

Dave Johnson29
11-21-2008, 6:57 PM
If you had a 100 watt laser that could burn at a speed 15-20 times faster than an "average" conventional laser

Hi John,

As Scott said it is probably a galvo system. That means the beam is focused on one or two angled mirrors mounted on one or more motors. The motors adjust the angle of the beam to move the burn point where it is needed.

Because there are no real moving parts the bean can be moved very quickly. The problem with galvo control is the it cannot be used to cut anything of useful size. The output beam is waved around to do the marking and if you cut with it, it would have an angled cut edge. The further out from the center of the beam you go, the greater the angle of the cut.

It will cut stuff, but not with an edge perpendicular to the top and bottom surface. They are great for light shows with visible lasers and marking with CO2 etc but that's pretty much it. Also the cost goes up dramatically the larger the swept area. A galvo that will do a 4" marking job is probably going to cost 4 times as much as one that can do a 2" swept area.

Mike Null
11-22-2008, 8:28 AM
The ones I've seen are used for marking small parts and labels. I've also seen some which can vector only and are used for making things like model airplane and train parts.

John Stephens
11-22-2008, 6:31 PM
I appreciate them and will keep you posted if I get it.

John