PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Bandsaw Blade Question

Anthony Whitesell
11-21-2008, 1:18 PM
I purchased a Grizzly G0513x2. It came with a 1/2" 6tpi (by my count) blade. I purchased additional blades from Timberwolf for the saw. If I go to the Grizzly website, they have 131 1/2" blades.

Is the stock blade that came on the machine, is blade the same as they sell online? Or is the stock blade a cheaper blade that they won't sell to you separately?

According to the descriptions of the individual blades, they are Timber Wolf Band Mill blades. Are the blades that Grizzly sells online the same as blades from Suffolk Machinery? Or is Grizzly just retailing for for Suffolk Machinery?

Aaron Wingert
11-21-2008, 4:15 PM
The Grizzly blades (<$20 range) are junk, and yes, you can buy them from Grizzly. No if's and's or but's, they're junk. I have a 19" Grizzly bandsaw and use Timberwolf blades that I get through Grizzly...They cost a lot more and are well worth it. Last time I ordered Timberwolf blades from Grizzly, they were marketed as Timberwolf but not packaged in the yellow package with the wolf on it like you see at Woodcraft....They were certainly great quality though. When I first got a 14" bandsaw I mistakenly bought some of their cheapo $10 blades, which were non-performers.

Stephen Edwards
11-21-2008, 9:07 PM
I've bought the Timberwolf blades directly from the manufacturer. A few months back they had a buy 3 get one free deal going. Great blades, too!

Scott Wigginton
11-22-2008, 12:57 AM
I've bought the Timberwolf blades directly from the manufacturer. A few months back they had a buy 3 get one free deal going. Great blades, too!

That offer is still on through the rest of the year.

John Keeton
11-22-2008, 7:46 AM
Another vote for Grizzly blades=junk, TW blades=excellent. I have ordered direct from Suffolk on the 4 for 3 deal.

Anthony Whitesell
11-22-2008, 4:49 PM
What I was trying to determine, because I can't seem to find the non-TimberWolf blades on Grizzly.com, was if all Grizzly blades were Timberwolf. I was still trying to figure out why the required tension for the 3/4" TW was so much higher than the 1/2" stock blade. I think I found it while working with the bandsaw tonight. The 3/4" TW is 0.032 thick while the 1/2" stock blade is only 0.021 thick. Do ya' think that might make a small difference?

Curt Harms
11-24-2008, 7:08 PM
What I was trying to determine, because I can't seem to find the non-TimberWolf blades on Grizzly.com, was if all Grizzly blades were Timberwolf. I was still trying to figure out why the required tension for the 3/4" TW was so much higher than the 1/2" stock blade. I think I found it while working with the bandsaw tonight. The 3/4" TW is 0.032 thick while the 1/2" stock blade is only 0.021 thick. Do ya' think that might make a small difference?

I've used a Timberwolf 3/4" on a Rikon 10-325 and the Rikon was capable of adequate tension to produce excellent results. I'd be very surprised if a G0513X2 won't tension a larger blade than a 14" Rikon. It doesn't seem the Timberwolf blades require "fiddle string tight" in order to function properly. In fact, one day I was playing around and tried resawing with more and less tension. The cuts with less tension (to a point) seemed smoother and just as straight as the cuts with more tension. Subjective observation but it sure seemed like it.

HTH

Curt

Anthony Whitesell
11-25-2008, 7:57 AM
I am using the flutter method as described in the bandsaw manual and on the Suffolk Machinery website. No matter how tight I tension the blades I always see some flutter when looking at the distance between the upper bearing and the side of the blade. What I have been doing is backing the guides off 2-3 times what they should be and tightening the blade until I don't hear the blade hitting the guides any longer. Once I adjust the guides to the proper distance, I still don't hear or see the guide bearings moving. If I dial the tension down from this point, even 1/2 turn, the bearings start to move as the blade starts to flutter and hit them.

P.S. With all that talk about static electricity and dust collectors, I was wondering if anyone else the noticed static discharge between the bandsaw blade and the roller bearing? While I was adjusting the tension and running the saw, I saw a fairly steady constant discharge between two.

Mr. Jeff Smith
07-01-2009, 12:19 PM
P.S. With all that talk about static electricity and dust collectors, I was wondering if anyone else the noticed static discharge between the bandsaw blade and the roller bearing? While I was adjusting the tension and running the saw, I saw a fairly steady constant discharge between two.

Just setup my bandsaw last week and I'm getting the same effect. Has yours maintained this behavior? Is it a problem?

Thanks,
Jeff

Chris Padilla
07-01-2009, 4:35 PM
Are you sure it isn't the blade being "grinded" as it runs along?

Mr. Jeff Smith
07-01-2009, 5:35 PM
Are you sure it isn't the blade being "grinded" as it runs along?

I've seen small sparks from the blade to the guide. Usually happens if I just let the saw run, have not noticed it occurring when actually cutting.

Peter Quinn
07-01-2009, 7:54 PM
Somewhere on that Grizzly site, buried in a deep hole, they do sell their 'stock' blades. My boss bought a bunch at work.
Junk.

And I'm not kidding about that. Brand new, out of the package, not worth the price of shipping. They also sell TW, I get mine from Suffolk Machinery because they are a lot closer to me, plus Buy three, get one free!

I have seen sparks on a BS but never from static discharge. Much too humid here most of the year for that. First time I did that flutter test I kept thinking I had reached flutter and should stop reducing tension, until I actually hit it. i kept imagining the blade flying off at me full speed with no guides on it. Didn't happen, hasn't happened yet either. I get good results from TW blades.

D. Hunt
07-02-2009, 11:05 AM
"That offer is still on through the rest of the year."

Is that something that you have to ask for when you order? I ordered four blades for my Grizz 19" about 3 weeks ago and nothing was said to me. I paid for all four I got.

Thanks,

D.Hunt

D. Hunt
07-02-2009, 12:23 PM
I called and it has to be mentioned at the time of sale. If you don't mention it, it's on you. It's amazing to me that a company would not offer it at the time of purchase but I guess it's a sign of the times. I haven't had a lot of time to dedicate for researching products but I guess that's on me.

This one just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Lots of other bandsaw blade makers out there that offer just as good of blade. Sad thing is, I didn't even shop around because of the experiences I've had in the past. That won't happen again. As for me, I'll find somewhere else to take my repeat business.

D.Hunt

Mike OMelia
07-02-2009, 2:38 PM

Those may be metal sparks, not static sparks. But in reading your next post, maybe it is static. I assume you have rubber tires. And one of those brush blade cleaners?

I am going to check mine to see if static builds up.

Mike

Peter Quinn
07-02-2009, 9:48 PM
I called and it has to be mentioned at the time of sale. If you don't mention it, it's on you. It's amazing to me that a company would not offer it at the time of purchase but I guess it's a sign of the times. I haven't had a lot of time to dedicate for researching products but I guess that's on me.

This one just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Lots of other bandsaw blade makers out there that offer just as good of blade. Sad thing is, I didn't even shop around because of the experiences I've had in the past. That won't happen again. As for me, I'll find somewhere else to take my repeat business.

D.Hunt

Well, if you call Suffolk Machine, the maker of Timberwolf blades, they will mention it, and they know a heck of a lot about blade selection if you need help there too. For Grizzly not to mention a manufacturers discount and charge you for a blade that should have been free is very unfriendly to say the least.

Shiraz Balolia
07-02-2009, 10:27 PM
For Grizzly not to mention a manufacturers discount and charge you for a blade that should have been free is very unfriendly to say the least.

Wait a sec! Suffolk's specials are not Grizzly's specials. We have to pay for every blade we buy from them. They don't give us free blades. We buy hundreds from them at a time and they do not give us a freebie for every three blades we buy.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-02-2009, 10:49 PM
Just for a comparison...(no offense Shiraz)

When I bought my MM-16 the salesman told me to buy some good blades...call Suffolk.....call Olson.....etc. The machine came with a 1/2" blade on it and the salesman said it was junk.

Well...maybe...I had to special order some Olson bi-metal blades and I paid over $150 for 3 blades. None of them have seen the saw yet. For everything I've done so far, the cheap 1/2" blade has performed well. I have a co-worker who is a amateur guitar maker. He is bringing some KOA over to be resawn. I have resawn 8" cherry with the existing 1/2" cheapy blade. It made nice 1/8" slices. I think I'll break out my 3/4" Olson and tune it and use it on his more expensive wood.

I tuned my bandsaw using Mark Duginske's latest book on bandsaws. This is the first bandsaw I've ever seen or used. It works like a dream. I think the tuning of the blade and the bandsaw combined with proper feeding of the material makes a huge difference in the way they perform. JMHO....

Cody Colston
07-02-2009, 10:51 PM
I've bought TW blades from both Suffolk Machinery and Grizzly. Suffolk has never mentioned or honored the buy-3-get-one-free deal to me.

Suffolk does offer a lot of help if you don't know what blade you need for a particular task. But, since I've become more familiar with the blades and their capability, I find it easier to order them online from Grizzly rather than place a call to Suffolk.

Besides, I hate telephones. ;)

D. Hunt
07-02-2009, 11:37 PM
Well, if you call Suffolk Machine, the maker of Timberwolf blades, they will mention it, and they know a heck of a lot about blade selection if you need help there too. For Grizzly not to mention a manufacturers discount and charge you for a blade that should have been free is very unfriendly to say the least.I did call Suffolk Machinery and they did not mention it. I called again today and was told it was an internet special only and you had to mention it at the time you placed your order. The lady I spoke to was short and to the point. There was a tone in her voice that said "your loss and there's nothing to discuss".

Wait a sec! Suffolk's specials are not Grizzly's specials. We have to pay for every blade we buy from them. They don't give us free blades. We buy hundreds from them at a time and they do not give us a freebie for every three blades we buy.Not sure how we got here but nothing was said about Grizzly in my post. By the way Shiraz, I bought the Grizzly G0514X2 and love it. Nice saw!!!!

Like I said, I will be purchasing blades again but it won't be from Suffolk Machinery and they won't be Timber Wolfs.

D.Hunt

Dave Lehnert
07-03-2009, 12:56 PM
Well, if you call Suffolk Machine, the maker of Timberwolf blades, they will mention it, and they know a heck of a lot about blade selection if you need help there too. For Grizzly not to mention a manufacturers discount and charge you for a blade that should have been free is very unfriendly to say the least.

Not sure what the beef is with Grizzly. The free blade deal is not with Grizzly. They never offered it, Never have and bet never will. If you want the free blade deal DON"T CALL GRIZZLY.
Like one of the other post said, Suffolk Machine themselves did not even make the offer to their own customer.

Like complaining Woodcraft charged me shipping when Amazon does not.