PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

Bill White
11-21-2008, 12:45 PM
In all my diggin' thru old tool stuff, I picked up a Stanley #75 "mini" bullnose plane. Now I know how to tune a plane, so that ain't an issue. But, for the life of me, I can't figger out what the darned thing is good for.
I know that it is for cleaning up rebates.
Any thoughts?
Sure is a cute l'il thing.
Bill

Steve Beadle
11-21-2008, 1:29 PM
Maybe extend the blade and use it to pull large staples? :p
Dull the blade a bit, attach a long handle, and use it as a back scratcher?:rolleyes:
Paperweight?
Or you could send it to me, and I will figure out something useful to do with it!

I hope it cleans up well and becomes a good user for you!

Steve

Bruce Haugen
11-21-2008, 2:19 PM
I have one of those little buggers, too, that I inherited from my dad. He pretty much never used it, as far as I can tell, and neither have I. It seems like a good idea, whenever I've grabbed it for cleaning out the end of a stopped rabbet, but there's almost nothing it does that I can't do better with a chisel.

Bruce

Tony Zaffuto
11-21-2008, 2:48 PM
Well, I bought the Miller Falls equivalent a year or so ago at a Fine Tool Journal Sale just to razz Patrick Leach about it. Otherwise, sometimes it works as a paint scraper for the top of baseboards or on window trim, but even those times, there are other tools thaat may be better suited.

T.Z.

Bill Houghton
11-21-2008, 2:50 PM
because its discomfort-in-use factor exceeds its cute factor by about ten to one. There's no practical way to grip it without the top of the iron cutting into your hand somewhere.

I put a wooden knoblike thing on the back of it (see pic below), held on with one screw from the underside, which improves it immensely, at which point it's a moderately useful carpenter's and house painter's plane, for cleaning up corners of rabbets.

Bill White
11-21-2008, 6:03 PM
At least I now know that I have NOT lost my mind.
Back scratcher huh??? HMMMMM.
Bill