PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a Yorkcraft jointer?

John Miliunas
06-02-2004, 11:19 PM
The YC-8J, to be exact. LOML and I were going over extended upgrade plans for our mansion (Yeah. Right! :rolleyes: )here and I've got a LOT of work cut out for me, most of which will start life as lumber in the rough cut variety. Past experience tells me that *many* of my rough lumber suppliers out this way, peddle much of their wares in dimensions less that 9", but more than 6". Basically, I end up wasting more material, as well as spend a lot more time milling it. So, it's time to upgrade to an 8" jointer. At first, I was pretty enthused about the 8" Grizz with the spiral cutter-head. BUT, for one, nobody seems to know for certain when their next shipment is due and I don't know how long the backlog is. Secondly, as many have stated, a jointer is a relatively simple (not complex) piece of equipment. Flat tables, flat fence perpendicular to the tables, decent motor and you're pretty much ready to roll. :) Given that and the rather wide swing in pricing, I'm seriously considering giving the nod to the Yorkie. Anybody out there have one of these beasts? Rumor has it that the thing rolls off the same assembly line as the lower end Delta 8"er and is pretty much identical. Oh, except for several hundred $$$ difference in price! :D The units are distributed through Wilke Machinery and I know they've got a darn good rep. Still, I'd feel a whole lot more comfortable getting a first-hand opinion of the unit. Any takers? :cool:

JayStPeter
06-03-2004, 8:46 AM
You're right, that unit is the same as the Delta. Most of the others out there are Geetech clones (including the Bridgewood). I have no experience with the jointer. But, something you may want to think about if you want a spiral cutterhead is that Byrd tool sells one for the Geetech clones. It's $449 (labeled as for "generic 8" jointer"). They may have a version for the yorkcraft/Delta version as well, but it's not on the list of supported Delta units. I've heard you can get Wilke to put Byrd cutterheads on their planers for the same cost as buying from Byrd. Maybe you can ask if they'll put one on your jointer for you.

Jay

Ken Garlock
06-03-2004, 11:26 AM
Hi John. Before you settle on the Yorkcraft, take a look at the Sunhill 8" jointer. It "appears" to be a better unit, IMO.

Sunhill has 72" table, including 2 3" extensions. a 2 hp motor, and 4 blade cutter head. Before they messed with their website, it sold for $739. It also looks like it weighs more than the Yorkcraft, which in my book is goodness.

Given a choice, I would go with the Sunhill, which is what I will do this summer, ceterus paribus.

I don't have a thing against Bridgewood/Yorkcraft, they make very good equipment IMO, I plan on getting their 10" LT cabinet saw, and I'm leaning toward the Yorkcraft 20" planer.

At least take a look Sunhill and then you can compare near equals.

Chris Padilla
06-03-2004, 11:33 AM
MiniMax...

John Miliunas
06-03-2004, 11:55 AM
MiniMax...

Ufda! If I had your $$$, I'd throw mine away and get the MM! :D You needs to 'member, us people up Nort here, are poor folks. :( You go a bit further East and you start getting back into the bucks again and we won't even get into the CA money! :D :cool:

Chris Padilla
06-03-2004, 11:58 AM
They make a "cheapie" 12" J/P.... :D

John Weber
06-03-2004, 12:25 PM
John,

You know me so I'll recommend a DJ-20 first. But since you are looking at the imports, I agree with Ken, Sunhill imports some nicely spec'd equipment. In my few dealings with them I have found them to be first class. They tend to also deal in larger equipment, so they don't fool with stuff that won't last. I haven't read much bad about the Yorkcraft other then the occasional bad casting, but more commonly the base seems to be weak and flimsy. A bigger concern with a tool at the bottom of the price scale would be long term durability. Even if it did come out for the same factory as the Delta Pro, that doesn't mean it's the same machine. When I worked for Philips, we built Curtis Mathis, Magnavox, Sylvania, Philco, Sayno, Bell & Howell, as well as several other brands. While the TV's were similar, there were many differences. To get a price down, corners have to be cut.

Finally, I'm not sure what a spiral cutter or index cutter gets you in a home shop. Powermatic use to market their index cutter heads as quieter, but I've read they can be a bear to adjust. As for a sprial blade, I think the cut might be a little better (especially on figured woods), but I would be concerned with long term blade support and cost of sharpening (have you ever tried to buy sprial blades for an old tool). Anyway, I think a four blade head would give you the best of both. But even a three blade head can and does a great job.

I'm sure the Yorkcraft would be ok, but for a little more, I think you have some better options.

John

P.S. Or as Chris said a nice 12" MiniMax will save you from upgrading again...

John Bush
06-03-2004, 12:49 PM
Hi John, I,ve had the chance to see the Grizz, Jet, Sunhill, Delta(not DJ20), and the PM60B up close and touchable. I ultimately chose the PM because the sales guy gave me a favorable deal and it was fully assembled and all the shipping oils had been cleaned off already.(from the showroom and he wanted to move it) After looking at the different brands, I'd recommend going with the bed length you like, motor size,(all seem to have plenty of power) and availability.(shipping costs and if you have to wait for a shipment from Taiwan).All the other aspects of the machines are so similar I doubt you would find a difference in performance. Of course color can be an issue... Good Luck.

James Carmichael
06-03-2004, 1:37 PM
Where exactly do you find YorkCraft, Sunhill, Bridgewood? Not exactly household names.

JayStPeter
06-03-2004, 2:05 PM
John,
I'm not sure what a spiral cutter or index cutter gets you in a home shop. Powermatic use to market their index cutter heads as quieter, but I've read they can be a bear to adjust. As for a sprial blade, I think the cut might be a little better (especially on figured woods), but I would be concerned with long term blade support and cost of sharpening (have you ever tried to buy sprial blades for an old tool). Anyway, I think a four blade head would give you the best of both. But even a three blade head can and does a great job.

The spiral cutterheads we're referring to are cutterheads with a bunch of carbide inserts in a spiral pattern (check byrdtool.com if interested). They are quieter, take less power, and produce excellent results in figured woods. The inserts can get pricey, but they are indexed and sharpened on 4 sides. No adjustment required. That's my main reason for wanting one :D

Grizz, Jet, Sunhill, Bridgewood (and GI) are all Geetech. Basic machine is the same, but the bases, switches and motors are different. Some can be had with bolt on bed extensions and 3 or 4 knife cutterheads. Grizzly also has a lever adjust version.

Personally, I would love a MM jointer/planer. But, even us east coast guys can't all go there. I'll probably spend around 10% and get a byrd head for my G1018.

Jay

nic obie
06-03-2004, 2:15 PM
John,

I own the Sunhill and like it fine. It was set up perfect right out of the box.

However if I lived in the east I would probably buy the Wilke 4 knife model because of the difference in shipping costs. I don't know anything about the Yorkcraft other than it's lighter than the others.

Wes Bischel
06-03-2004, 2:23 PM
James,

Bridgewood / Yorkcraft: http://www.wilkemachinery.com/WelcomeToWilke.html

Sunhill:
http://www.sunhillmachinery.com/

Wes

John Weber
06-03-2004, 4:09 PM
Jay,

I think woodworkers are mistakenly using spiral and insert cutters interchangablely. The new PM 15" planer uses a spiral flexible knife. I think index cutters would be nice, but it's a high dollar option, and I've read they are not fool proof. John might also want to consider a Esta or other quick change blade system for less money.

John

JayStPeter
06-03-2004, 4:39 PM
Jay,

I think woodworkers are mistakenly using spiral and insert cutters interchangablely.

Agreed, it's pretty confusing. Not only woodworkers, but manufacturers. Shopfox also has a planer with some form of spiral cutter that involves a flexible knife. Maybe the same cutterhead as the PM?

John might also want to consider a Esta or other quick change blade system for less money.

John

A former co-worker has an insert cutterhead in his Sunhill that gives fantastic results in figured wood. I was planning on getting some form of quick-change knives until I saw that. Now I want an insert cutterhead jointer AND planer. It is more expensive, but weren't you trying to convince John to get a MiniMax :eek: :D

Jay

Chris Padilla
06-03-2004, 5:17 PM
:D

I have Byrd working on a quote for a shelix cutterhead for my 16" MiniMax J/P. I'm guessing it'll be in the 2k range.

JayStPeter
06-03-2004, 6:04 PM

I have Byrd working on a quote for a shelix cutterhead for my 16" MiniMax J/P. I'm guessing it'll be in the 2k range.

You'll have the ideal setup IMO ... &$@#er! :p :D

Chris Padilla
06-03-2004, 6:55 PM
Yeah, I think it'll last me a long, long time. Now I gotta rip apart my garage and totally remodel it...I kinda hope the J/P doesn't show up for a while to be honest! :)

John Miliunas
06-03-2004, 11:07 PM
Many thanks for the info, gentlemen! The spiral or insert type cutterheads are pretty much out of the question at this point in time, and certainly NOT the MM! LOML even cringed at the Bridgewood 4-knive unit! Sunhill, on the other hand, is one I hadn't previously considered. Nic O. sounds as though he's happy with his, but I haven't heard from any Yorie owners. Either of those may even get the "boot", as shipping distance is pretty hefty. I've never dealt with Sunhill, but I have with Wilke and they're good folks to do business with. Some more shopping around, I guess. Thanks again guys! :cool:

John Weber
06-03-2004, 11:41 PM
John,

Here is a contact at Sunhill, he's a good guy. They also now own the Oliver name and have some nice looking equipment including a 10" 900 lb jointer.

Sydney Pugmire
Sunhill Machinery
sunhill@sunhillmachinery.com
800-929-4321
http://www.sunhillmachinery.com

John

Jim Becker
06-05-2004, 2:04 PM
The one thing about the Yorkcraft to consider (If I'm remembering clearly) is that it has the rack and pinion fence system and cannot be up against a wall. (neither can the Mini Max for a simliar, but slightly different reason) That long bar goes straight back...

John Miliunas
06-05-2004, 4:14 PM
Thanks for the additional info/comments, gents! I guess I'll check further into Sunhill. As for the rack & pinion, it's not really an issue for where the machine would sit, but extra hardware hanging off the backside isn't an attribute I necessarily care for, either! :( I found that, with my bathroom cabinet project, I ended up using a lot of shop floor real estate, including the area directly behind my current jointer! :cool:

John Bush
06-05-2004, 5:02 PM
Hi ,again,John. I visited the Sunhill warehouse here in Seattle, and the staff was very accommodating for a nosey window shopper like me. The 8" jointer they hade was in the box ready to be shipped and it was the last they had in stock, so I didn"t get to play with it. It looks exactly like the Jet and very similar to the Grizz so your cost may be the primary consideration. Good luck.

Gary Sutherland
06-05-2004, 10:07 PM
John...

I haven't used the Sunhill jointer, but I have bought from the company and they are great to deal with.

gary