PDA

View Full Version : Two backyard cherry bowls.

Toney Robertson
11-21-2008, 11:52 AM
These are from the cherry tree we had to take out in out back yard. Sorry to lose the tree but happy to gain the wood. I had let it go too long so the base of the trunk was pretty rotten.

The first is 9 3/4" x 2 3/4" with Antique Oil and then buffed.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/155-55.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/155-55A.jpg

The next one is 11 1/4" x 2 3/4" with Antique Oil and of course some key dust.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/157-57.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/157-57A.jpg

All comments or constructive criticisms are welcome.

Toney

Steve Busey
11-21-2008, 12:10 PM
Sweet! I love the concave rim treatments on both of them.

Steve Schlumpf
11-21-2008, 12:10 PM
Toney - first off - very nice work on both of these bowls! Gots to love working with cherry!

First bowl - I really like the rim and the slight dished out/cove. Makes for a great effect! I also like the detail line just below the rim as it draws attention to the rim area and the fact that there is something just a little different about it.

Second bowl - great size, beautiful wood but I am not 100% sure about the rim. Very different and different is a good thing - just something I would have to get used to. Still, it is unique and I like the key dust used to highlight the area.

Again - very nice work on both bowls! Thanks for sharing!

steven carter
11-21-2008, 1:32 PM
Toney,

Great job on both bowls. Definitely not your run of the mill rims, but I like them both. The key dust looks greener than I thought it would, but maybe it's just the camera exposure.

Steve

bill martin
11-21-2008, 1:36 PM
Really nice bowls.. I have a lump of Cherry but don't know how to cut it up to make bowls.. read all the books but still nothing looks right. How did you cut your blank to get those bowls looking like that please.
Bill
Edinburgh
Scotland

Bernie Weishapl
11-21-2008, 2:00 PM
Toney both bowls are beauties. Love the rim treatment on both.

Dave Halter
11-21-2008, 2:37 PM
Beautiful bowls. Okay, what is key dust? In one pic it looks like brass.

Toney Robertson
11-21-2008, 6:15 PM
Really nice bowls.. I have a lump of Cherry but don't know how to cut it up to make bowls.. read all the books but still nothing looks right. How did you cut your blank to get those bowls looking like that please.
Bill
Edinburgh
Scotland

Bill,

First off, I love your country. I am of Scottish decent and a few years back we visited. Played golf at St. Andrews, saw Loch Ness, Edinbugh and the general countryside. Beautiful country and lovely people. LOVE the accent.

Back to turning, I did not do anything special in preparing the wood. I took the round section that was about 12" or so in diameter and cut in down the middle to dissect the pith length ways. I believe that is the best way to maximize the amount of wood used.

I hope I made myself clear.

Toney

Toney Robertson
11-21-2008, 6:18 PM
Beautiful bowls. Okay, what is key dust? In one pic it looks like brass.

Dave,

Thanks for the kind comments.

Key dust is what is made when keys are cut. It is brass. I don't know if it is pure brass, it might have added ingredients.

I run/manage a lumber/hardware and we cut keys so I have a ready made source. :D

It is not an original idea but I do how it looks.

Toney

Dewey Torres
11-21-2008, 6:20 PM
Toney,
Nice bowl and absolutely splendid photography!

Barry Stratton
11-22-2008, 9:20 AM
Great looking bowls! The rims are a nice, unique touch.

Thanks to you and Leo for reminding me how good chery looks....gotta go dig some out of the pile now......

Ken Fitzgerald
11-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Toney,

I really like the bowls!

I have access to a local Ace Hardware and I'll be visiting begging for key dust this weekend!

Curt Fuller
11-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Very nice bowls Toney! Is the wood black cherry or fruit cherry? I ask because it looks very much like the fruit cherry that grows around were I live, we don't have the wild black cherry. Also, on the key dust, do you mix it with epoxy or CA? It looks really good in the narrow band.

Toney Robertson
11-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Very nice bowls Toney! Is the wood black cherry or fruit cherry? I ask because it looks very much like the fruit cherry that grows around were I live, we don't have the wild black cherry. Also, on the key dust, do you mix it with epoxy or CA? It looks really good in the narrow band.

Curt,

It is wild cherry that grew up in fence row that used to be south of where I built my house. Around here a lot of cherries trees are in fence rows.

The key dust was mixed with epoxy.

Thanks for the comments.

Toney