PDA

View Full Version : The WOW factor challenge! I see London, I see France...

Gabe Gat
11-21-2008, 9:07 AM
Hi all just thought I throw out a friendly Creeker challenge and give people a chance to show off. I'm still pretty new to my laser but I ran the Eiffel Tower file (search Eifffel) and for sheer "WOW" I'm don't know what can meet it or beat it. It's truly amazing what you can do with a laser some time and a flat sheet of ply.
That said I thought I'd open a forum tread where everyone can share their master piece, their hook, their "why do I have a laser you ask?"... check this out! Let's WOW!

Cheers,

To spur the imagination I thought I should post a pic of the finished product (this isn't my picture but it's one done from the same file) As they say a picture it worth a thousand words, or in this case somewhere around a 1000 vector cuts ;)

James Stokes
11-21-2008, 4:33 PM
It looks great. I was the one who posted the original file, I looked for about 3 years before I found it. It has been about 2 years since I posted it and I still have not cut it myself.

Gabe Gat
11-21-2008, 5:06 PM
I'm glad you piped up so credit can be given, it's great work! I cut it myself yesterday just need to glue it all up, it's one of the 7 wonders of the laser world I say. hopefully other people show off something else!

Phil Garcia
11-21-2008, 5:47 PM
Please let us know how long it takes to glue it up. Sounds like a great holiday project sitting around the fire and have a nice single malt scotch.

Scott Perry
11-21-2008, 5:50 PM
Nice job, I guess I will have to give it a try.:D

Phil Garcia
11-21-2008, 5:51 PM
lWhere can I get file, I would love to do a project like that.:D

Steven Wallace
11-21-2008, 7:04 PM
Phil, I am with you on a good single malt. I have grandkids in Denton and we are trying to get back there for Christmas. I am wondering if it is a good idea on a project like this with fire and scotch being in close proximity. Sort of like firearms and liquor, something bad is just around the corner. I can see the alcohol leading to poor eye/hand coordination during glue up and with a fire being so close... well there is no longer evidence that anything went awry. What project... NO I did not start it yet... Really, I haven't cut it out yet... I planned do it after the first of the New Year... Those were just scraps... Where's that darn cat!

Have a great Thanksgiving!!!

Gabe Gat
11-21-2008, 7:05 PM
Gluing up only took about 20 min, all the pieces are slotted it's just not a really tight fit. If you search Eiffel Tower in these forums you'll find the file.

So what's everyone else up to for the WOW?

Steve Clarkson
11-21-2008, 7:19 PM
Gabe,

I searched but couldn't find the file, could you please post it?

Thanks!

Skip Weiser
11-21-2008, 7:32 PM
I've been cutting ornaments to sell from some left over scraps of George Perzel's cherry thins. If you haven't ever purchased any from him, I highly recommend it.

I can see why scroll saw folks dislike us laser folks. This is a 3" piece and took under 3 minutes from start to finish. The design is from the Berry Basket collection that is for sale (web download) on their website. Sorry, I can't post the file due to copyright restrictions. Check out their website though, they have a heck of a deal going for patterns.

Not much WOW here compared to the Eiffel Tower, but it's all I have right at the moment.

Skip

Gabe Gat
11-21-2008, 8:01 PM
Gabe,

I searched but couldn't find the file, could you please post it?

Thanks!

The forum won't let me post the file(s) it's saying they exceed the upload limit. Open to anyone who asks, PM my and i'll email you over the files.

Skip Weiser
11-21-2008, 8:12 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/files/neweiffel_12.cdr (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/files/neweiffel_12.cdr)

I think it's here.

Skip

David Harvey
11-22-2008, 8:16 AM
Gabe, that's a great job on the tower! These laser's are some kinda fun, huh?

I thought I would show my latest project. Even though it's not all done on the laser, I couldn't have done any of it without the laser. The unit is a portable sun tracking battery charger. Assembles in minutes with no tools and is easily transported. It's controlled by a microcontroller that drives a stepper motor to position the solar panel. The complete chassis, which supports the circuit board, stepper motor and gear drivetrain. is all cut from 6mm black acrylic. The assembly then bolts into the control base of the unit.

The sun sensor is made from 2.5mm and 6mm black acrylic and houses the sensors that the microcontroller reads for locating and positioning the solar panel to the sun.

The Solar panel is the flexible type and is supported by 4 brass rods that are held in position by the boom support. The boom support is cut from a combination of 2.5mm and 6mm acrylic.

The rest of the parts are made on my mini lathe and mill. The whole project took over a year to design and develop in my spare time. Many variations came and went and thanks to having a laser, I was able to quickly move on to improved designs as it developed along.

Even though this product isn't 100% laser made, it's very existance depends on having one available...so..with my new product, I can produce it 100% in my shop.

Frank Corker
11-22-2008, 9:54 AM
David, you've done an excellent job on that, wish we had one of those here in UK (even though we don't get much sun)

Skip Weiser
11-22-2008, 10:42 AM
David, that is brilliant! I envy your electronics knowledge.

It has been said that everyone has at least one million dollar idea in their lifetime. I truly hope this is yours.

Skip

Phil Garcia
11-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Thanks Skip, I'm going to give this try after I finish my current job. It's for a customer so they come first. I really appreciate finding the file. Have a great weekend.

Gabe Gat
11-22-2008, 11:32 AM
David, maybe you should laser yourself a Eiffel Tower, mount one of your auto-sun trackers on top and slowly but surly start your take over of the world... mwhahahhah (said with tented fingers)