PDA

View Full Version : glue working time

Tom Adger
11-21-2008, 8:07 AM
I am ready to glue the base of my new workbench, and I will be gluing 8 mortices and 8 tenons at one time, then clamping. I need more than 5 min open time on titebond II, and 8 min on tb III. they have a product called titebond extend which has 15 min, but i can't find it in my area. (ft. pierce/port st lucie, fl) Any suggestions on another glue?

Arnold E Schnitzer
11-21-2008, 8:29 AM
You could get some Old Brown glue from Tools For Working Wood. It's a pre-made hide glue which has an open time of half an hour or so. It may not be as strong as Titebond, but it is probably more than strong enough for tenons.

Rod Sheridan
11-21-2008, 8:31 AM
Lee Valley 2002 GF has a 15 to 20 minute open time.....Rod.

Prashun Patel
11-21-2008, 8:47 AM
I am ready to glue the base of my new workbench, and I will be gluing 8 mortices and 8 tenons at one time, then clamping. I need more than 5 min open time on titebond II, and 8 min on tb III. they have a product called titebond extend which has 15 min, but i can't find it in my area. (ft. pierce/port st lucie, fl) Any suggestions on another glue?

IMHO, you can probably do all 8 in well under 8 minutes - probably under 5 as long as you plan yr movements out so you're not wasting seconds scrambling for a wet rag or brush or clamp.

Are you sure there's no way to do 1/2 of it at a time? What's yr assembly look like?

Rich Enders
11-21-2008, 8:53 AM
DAP Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue. 30-45 minutes open time.

Tom Adger
11-21-2008, 10:39 AM
Shawn, I cannot do it 1/2 at a time. The legs have the short rails glued in for each end, now is the time to glue the long rails to connect the ends. We have all seen film clips where they speed up the motion. I am not like that. I might be able to do it in 8min, by why take a chance? That is the point of my post.

Prashun Patel
11-21-2008, 11:32 AM
I getcha! I'm no karate kid myself when it comes to gluing, and anything to reduce the sweat and anxiety is well appreciated...

Could you glue the strechers to one side at a time? You'd still dryfit the second side but only for alignment purposes. Once the one side dries, you can glue up the 2nd side. Sorry if I'm missing the obvious...

Jamie Buxton
11-21-2008, 3:22 PM
Epoxies can have long open times. You can get an hour or more, depending on the temperature and the catalyst you choose. Check out West System epoxies. I get it at a local chandlery, but I'm pretty sure Woodcraft sells it.

Jim Summers
11-21-2008, 3:51 PM
I stumbled on to this bit of info at:

http://www.solowoodworker.com/wood/glue.html

In the general notes section it says it is possible to spray some water on the glue/area to increase the open time. Haven't tried it myself but it might give a few extra minutes.

HTH

Jude Tuliszewski
11-21-2008, 6:38 PM
What Jim said, you don’t soak it just enough to make it damp. You could also use a clean glue brush and a cup to dampen the suffices. It will give you an extra 5 to 10 minutes (depending on atmospheric condition). I also have used this method and it worked well. :)

Tom Adger
11-21-2008, 6:45 PM
I want to thank all of you for your posts. After checking out the tech sheets for the products recommended, I have decided on the 2002 GF available from Lee Valley recommended by Rod. 15-20 minutes of work time, and the shear strength is plenty strong enough, especially since for each tenon I will put two thru dowels.