PDA

View Full Version : HF question

Matt Wolboldt
11-20-2008, 11:58 PM
I'm starting to finish my first HF (pics forthcoming). I was thinking about putting a finial on it to dress it up a bit and to practice some spindle turning. Is the finial typically glued into place or is it just placed on the HF like a box lid? Thanks
Matt

Jeff Nicol
11-21-2008, 7:20 AM
Matt, It would depend on the size of the opening in the HF and the wood you are using. If the piece uses the finial as an add on to a lid that is the same wood as the HF then most likly glued into that. If the finial is to be the lid and you are able to turn the whole piece as one then no glue. So it is up to you and your design on how it will be completed. I have done it so the top is a contrasting wood the the main piece and then added a finial of dark or light wood to bring it all together. But it sounds like you want to add a finial to the completed HF so it could be any way you want!

The art is in you and your hands let it out to be seen by all!!

Enjoy and try some combinations of things untill you are happy with it in the end!

Have a great day!
Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
11-21-2008, 8:06 AM
Matt - most of the time I want folks to be able to look inside the HF as it adds to the wow factor. I agree with Jeff in that the option is entirely up to you but for me personally, I don't like to glue the finial to the HF. What if I changed my mind later and wanted a different finial - or none at all?

Looking forward to seeing photos of your completed HF!

Bernie Weishapl
11-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Matt I don't normally glue my finials. I try to get them to sit on the HF with a snug fit so they don't just get knocked off or fall off but not so tight that they can't be taken out to look inside.

Richard Madison
11-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Matt,
As someone else noted in a recent thread, be sure the wood of your HF is completely dry before fitting the lid or finial to a close fit, lest the two pieces become one as the HF dries and shrinks. Also, depending upon finish materials, might want to lightly wax the mating surfaces. I have a couple HF's in which the close fitting finials have become "permanent", due to a combination of shrinkage and the lacquer on mating surfaces bonding with itself.

Matt Wolboldt
11-21-2008, 11:58 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. I'm in the process of drying the HF, so I'm guessing in about a week or two it should be ready for a final turn. I just figured I would ask in advance of the turning date so I can give some thought to the type of wood, form, etc.
Matt