PDA

View Full Version : Woodburning

Dave Lehnert
11-20-2008, 9:31 PM
I am looking for a wood burner. Knowing nothing about a wood burner I kinda like the Colwood Detailer. I am not a woodcarver. Just looking to add some detail to my woodworking projects like boxes and just do some basic projects. Pictures on a board and the like. Also like to use to sign my projects.

My questions are. I can find the Colwood wood burner on-line but not familiar with any of the vendors. Can you recommend one?

Also can you recommend the top two or three tips to get me started.

http://www.woodburning.com/toolshop/images/detailer_2.jpg

Khalid Khattak
11-21-2008, 1:13 AM
I am looking for a wood burner. Knowing nothing about a wood burner I kinda like the Colwood Detailer. I am not a woodcarver. Just looking to add some detail to my woodworking projects like boxes and just do some basic projects. Pictures on a board and the like. Also like to use to sign my projects.

My questions are. I can find the Colwood wood burner on-line but not familiar with any of the vendors. Can you recommend one?

Also can you recommend the top two or three tips to get me started.

I really don't know what the woodburning meant for!!!... what effects we can get after burning the wood.. I think COAL is left???

Daniel Heine
11-21-2008, 9:52 AM
Dave,

My suggestion would be The Woodcraft Shop in Iowa. They atre not affiliated with the Woodcraft company. Larry and Carol Yudis own the company, and they ae two of the nicest people you will ever find. Take a look on their web site here:

http://www.thewoodcraftshop.com/store/c/617-Woodburning-Tools-by-Colwood-Industries.html

Happy Pyrographing,
Dan

Ray Sheley
11-28-2008, 5:48 AM
Khalid,
You do not burn the entire piece, you would use the hot tip to burn a line, such as burning in feather details on a birds wing, lettering on a sign, or even burning in an entire picture. But in most instances the burn line is neither very wide or very deep. It's only a visual enhancement. Many years ago the Dutch made many burned wood portraits and scenes for decorations. Look on Ebay under BURNED WOOD and you will see what I mean.

Glenn Roberts
12-13-2008, 4:34 AM
Dave, a bit late on this one, for what it is worth I have owned a Burnmaster Eagle for some time, I purchased it direct from www.woodcarverssupply.com (http://www.woodcarverssupply.com) the Hawk is a similar version to the colwood. ( single pen )

Wood carver supply sell the Detail Master pens as well. I find the fixed tip vented style very good. I wont go on as you probably are set on the colwood. I just wanted to say I had excellent service from Wood carvers supply, even though I am on the other side of the world.

Werner Huber
12-16-2008, 4:28 AM
Hi Dave,

this is my first message here, even I've been watching it for a while.
might come up with Q in the future for equipment.

regarding your woodburner, I can help with experience:
I bought the model "mastercarver burnmaster hawk" for $100 6 month ago and I love it. can use may handpieces and it has enough power for me. I think you can get it on ebay for about this price. let me know, if you have further questions.

werner