PDA

View Full Version : Starting a special project

Matt Campbell
11-20-2008, 7:25 PM
Recently, a local family's house completely burned down, and they lost everything except the clothes they were wearing. To make matters worse, their insurance company is estimating they won't receive any money for about a year so they are staying in a friend's house. Currently the husband, wife, and their 14 year old daughter are sleeping in a kid's room; however, the friend they are staying with has a basement they could move in to if only they had a couple of beds. This is where I come in. I'd like to build a couple of beds for them, but they'll need them soon. How long does a bed take to build? Do you know of some plans for a nice but quick-to-build bed? The couple's bed will be full-size, and their daughter's will be twin. I plan on donating the material and labor. If anyone in the Chattanooga area has any lumber they'd like to donate, please let me know. Thanks for any help.

Jim Becker
11-20-2008, 7:55 PM
Matt...keep it simple to keep it quick. Build platform beds. They are comfortable and the base can be modular so they are easy to get in and out of the basement. It also cuts down on the bedding cost as you don't "need" box springs...just mattresses that are appropriate for a platform configuration.

Tom Godley
11-20-2008, 9:23 PM
........ any money for a year! ?????

frank shic
11-20-2008, 11:21 PM
you could probably build some quick and easy with just 2x4's, some plywood and the appropriate bed bolt hardware. they might not win any prizes for style, but at least they'll have something to sleep on!