PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Software

Joe Scarfo
06-02-2004, 2:18 PM
Anyone have any leads for inexpensive software to maximize the plywood harvest?

Thanks
Joe in Tampa...

Kevin Beck
06-02-2004, 2:39 PM
I've used CutList Plus from Bridgewood Design for several years and have found it to be extremely useful and easy to use. You can see it on the web at http://cutlistplus.com/.

No affiliation other than as a happy customer.

Kevin in Lake Mary (the East side of central Florida)

Charles McKinley
06-03-2004, 9:22 PM
Hi Joe,

If you searc fo cutlist here several people here use it. it got several very good reviews

Chris Padilla
06-03-2004, 9:24 PM
Joe,

I think a cheap graphic's program could work...anything that can make a grid of some kind might work out. I just do it on graph paper but occosionally I'll fire up MS Publisher and do it in there. Old program but easy to use and it works.

Jim Becker
06-03-2004, 11:45 PM
CutList Plus for sure. Great program. Great company. Reasonable price.

Joe Scarfo
06-04-2004, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the advice. I've downloaded the demo and I'll pbly order a copy.

Joe in Tampa

Jim Becker
06-04-2004, 8:45 PM
Joe, I used CutList Plus last year when I did my kitchen renovation and I "know" it saved me money with more efficiency on the sheet goods...and given the program cost little more than one sheet of birch plywood, it was a good investment. IMHO, of course.

Brian Hale
06-04-2004, 8:54 PM
I like Cutlist also, good software and a good value.

Byron Trantham
06-05-2004, 7:38 PM
Joe, CutList is the "cat's meow"!! I wouldn't touch a piece of sheet goods anymore until I consult Cutlist. :D

Chris Padilla
06-07-2004, 12:25 AM
Hmmm, this s/w is that nice, eh? hmmm....

Byron Trantham
06-07-2004, 1:05 PM
Here's an example of it's detail. If you use edge banding, it allows you to identify where you want it on each piece in the list and then tells you the total number of feet needed [and] it subtracts the length to accommodate the edge banding thickness! When I cut up the sheets, I number the parts according to CutList so I can refer back to the list to figure out "What was this one for?" :D Of course the real power is not only figuring how to lay out a sheet but how many sheets you need!

Chris Padilla
06-07-2004, 1:13 PM
Cool. I tend to wing it while I'm cutting up plywood and I probably should be more careful. Do you recommend the standard version?

Mark Bachler
06-07-2004, 1:49 PM

Yep, it is.

Mark Bachler
06-07-2004, 1:52 PM
Cool. I tend to wing it while I'm cutting up plywood and I probably should be more careful. Do you recommend the standard version?

The standard version would probably work for most smaller shops. We have the gold package because you can store more parts & wood types.

Joe Scarfo
06-07-2004, 4:08 PM
I downloaded the demo based on everyones suggestion. The reports for each pjct is fantastic....

I inputted a real pjct my MOL wants done and the cut list it produced left more waist than I would've expected. I do have an email into them as I suspect there is pbly a setting I can adjust which changes the output.

Would anyone mind if I called them and asked a few questions to a real uzer?

Drop me an email.

Thanks
Joe

Joe Scarfo
06-07-2004, 4:25 PM
Ok... a little more diligence and I figured it out...

That program is "fantastique". I'm in for the middle level version.

Joe in Tampa

Joe Scarfo
06-08-2004, 11:19 AM
Forgive my manners... I forgot to thank everyone for their help and input on this...

Thank You...

Joe in Tampa

Chris Padilla
06-08-2004, 11:21 AM
Geeez, Joe, you are slipping on the slope of the creek but we'll glady stick out a hand for ya! ;)

Joseph N. Myers
06-08-2004, 12:55 PM
Joe,

I called up one of my projects that I had on CutList Plus and used the "rotate" option on some of the plywood pieces that would not be seen --- worked great. Got me down to one piece of plywood and am now going to review other projects to see if the same saving can be made.

In the past, I noticed that the order that the parts are submitted ("Cuts List") affect the layout of the piece ("Layouts"). I just tried to duplicate it using the above project but couldn't --- so maybe I was wrong.

I also use Cutlist Plus for dimensional wood, just not plywood. As I use a lot of rough lumber and lately have been doing lots of craft work (garden bridges, planters, etc), CutList does a great job selecting what size pieces I should start with. For instance, I try with say, 5 1/2, then again with 6 1/2, etc. I then pick the one with less waste.

The same would hold true with different pieces of smaller pieces of plywood but I have not tried that yet.

You can call me but I'm sure some of the others answering the thread would probably be more knowledgeable.

Regards, Joe

Jim Becker
06-08-2004, 4:33 PM
Joe, the one thing to remember when using something like CutList Plus for hardwood lumber is that it's best to use it only to figure out how much you need prior to figuring waste requirements for a particular species and project--and maybe some general cutting considerations. But laying out the parts for hardwood, at least anything that will be seen, should generally be a manual process so you can carefully match grain and color. Lay those boards out flat so you can see them ALL and make and mark your decisions using a tape measure and chalk. The software still can't do that! :D This is actually one of the most important steps of the FINISHING process, believe it or not. Finishing starts with material selection.

Joseph N. Myers
06-08-2004, 5:04 PM
Jim,

I agree. However, in my post I was referring to wood for crafts, in this case cedar, so the grain, color, etc. doesn't matter.

For a "real" project, laying out cuts in hardwood is sometime the same as plywood as plywood is rarely the "same" in all parts of the piece. So even in plywood, one has to play the "matching" game.

Actually I'm lucky in as much I usually have enough dimensional wood on hand to be able to select enough wood that looks the same and hence do not have to worry too much about matching the wood and color.

Regards, Joe