PDA

View Full Version : Curved Corner Bed

Brett Nelson
11-20-2008, 6:14 PM
How would you guys accomplish the curved corners of these beds? Have seen several beds with this feature that I really like, but can't figure out the best way to accomplish this without carving from a solid block. Purchasing a bed like this is not an option right now because of price.

Jamie Buxton
11-20-2008, 6:36 PM
For the most part I'd use bent lamination.

The panels are veneered. I'd use bending poplar to make the curved plywood substrate, with a fancy sliced veneer on the face.

I don't know how the original rails are made. However, I'd make them with bent lamination. I'd bandsaw the laminations, especially the face laminate.

The trickiest part might be the top of the corner. Notice that it bends horizontally around the corner while it bends up to meet the footboard, and the top surface is visible to boot. You might just have to saw that out of several pieces of solid lumber. I'd use perhaps three blocks which butt together end-to-end, and bandsaw away everything which doesn't look like the example.

This is not a beginner's project. It is tricky, demanding, stuff.

Dewey Torres
11-20-2008, 7:02 PM
I would make it with a bendable (kerfed) plywood substrate and a mold for the vacuum press. Both sides of the substrate would be veneered for stability and the rest is advanced fame and panel construction.

The rails could be made with bent lamination or coopered type construction.

Since you stated that your only thought was carving this out of a solid piece of wood I am guessing you have never seen this type of construction in which case might be over ambitious to attempt. Please don't take that the wrong way, I just wanted to point out that this is a VERY VERY advanced wood working project and has the potential to be cheaper after several failed attempts to have bought it outright in the first place. Albeit NOT imposable it would certainly be a challenge and that might be an understatement.

If you must attempt this, do plenty of research and consult the creek often. Good luck if you do.

Thomas S Stockton
11-21-2008, 10:26 AM
I just finished up something similar. The bed I did wasn't frame and panel but some of the construction details would be the same. I would resaw some solid wood and bend it on a form in a vacuum press for the rails. The panels can be made of some type of bending plywood, I would probably use 2 layers of 3/8" wiggle or wacky wood and bend them on the same form. Two layers will have a little flex which will help you fit them in the groove easier.
On this bed I used italian bending ply for the core.
Tom

Brett Nelson
11-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Dewey,

You are guessing right. I'm a novice woodworker and I do realize that this type of project is an incredible undertaking for a novice. I'm just trying to find out now the techniques that I'll need, so that when I do actually design a piece like this, I won't be experimenting during production.

Thomas,

That is beautiful. That is just what I am looking for. Do you have any key words that I could use in a description of this style of bed. I've searched the internet many different ways and the picture I posted was the only one I could find that was even close to what I was thinking. I'm looking for a bit more inspiration. As I develope my skills I would like to get into period furniture as a specialty.

On a different note. You guys talk frequently about using vacuum presses. Can you recommend a place where I might find build-it-yourself vacuum press instructions. I've already spent so much on the other woodworking tools I need that buying wood isn't even in the budget anymore. :o A $700 vacuum press is out of the question.

Jamie Buxton
11-21-2008, 11:17 AM
You guys talk frequently about using vacuum presses. Can you recommend a place where I might find build-it-yourself vacuum press instructions.

http://www.joewoodworker.com/

Dewey Torres
11-21-2008, 12:47 PM
See this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=85790&highlight=%24300%28ish%29+vacuum+press

Chris Padilla
11-21-2008, 1:53 PM
I just finished up something similar. The bed I did wasn't frame and panel but some of the construction details would be the same. I would resaw some solid wood and bend it on a form in a vacuum press for the rails. The panels can be made of some type of bending plywood, I would probably use 2 layers of 3/8" wiggle or wacky wood and bend them on the same form. Two layers will have a little flex which will help you fit them in the groove easier.
On this bed I used italian bending ply for the core.
Tom

Beautiful work, Tom! Looks like walnut. I hope you continue to update us on the progess; please start a thread.

Thomas S Stockton
11-21-2008, 10:16 PM
Chris I just posted something in the project section on this bed.
Thomas S Stockton

Brett Nelson
01-19-2009, 11:44 AM
I finally found the picture (again) of the bed that is my woodworking inspiration. I really love this bed, and years down the road I want to build this one. Sort of like a beginning guitarist getting inspired by one of Clapton's songs.

http://www.broyhillfurniture.com/interface/style1/images/broyhill/6340-B5005_lg.jpg

Sonny Edmonds
01-19-2009, 11:56 AM
WOW! Is that ever some gorgeous woodworking!
You have very high aspirations.
My brain goes into overload knowing the background work and necessities involved. But when you get there.... ;)
Good Luck and best wishes on achieving those dreams, from another Eric Clapton fan. :)

Jamie Buxton
01-19-2009, 11:59 AM
..Sort of like a beginning guitarist getting inspired by one of Clapton's songs...

Sort of, yes. But while there's only a few guitarists in the whole world in Clapton's class, there's a lot more fine woodworkers. That is, you really can learn enough to build that bed!

Brett Nelson
01-19-2009, 1:11 PM
Well, I just got my first guitar for Christmas and I can play "Tears in Heaven", so maybe the bed is possible. hehe... Really though, I agree with you, Jamie, that with experience I will be able to make that bed. My hope is just that the bed doesn't turn out similar to the way my "tears in heaven" sounds right now. Everyone's reaction to my guitar solo is, "that's sounding good, just keep practicing and you'll get there." Hopefully, that isn't the response I get when I finally endeavor to build that bed. :D

Ed Peters
01-19-2009, 1:22 PM
a piece of furniture of this caliber requires a goodly sized room to look that good. Try packing it into the average sized bedroom and the aspect ratio completely outweighs your craftsmanship. Keep in mind that you need to build for the available space, all things must remain in balance before the real beauty can be fully appreciated.

Ed

Brett Nelson
01-19-2009, 2:49 PM
My master suite is 850s.f. The bedroom portion of that is about 450s.f. I think it will look ok, but not sure that I will still be in this home once I get around to making this bed.