PDA

View Full Version : Any good christmas list ideas?

Ben Rafael
11-20-2008, 3:01 PM
My wife wants a list from me. I want to provide one so I dont get clothes, books and other stuff I dont want. Frankly, I dont want anything. I have everything I need and want that doesn't cost a lot of money. Yeah, I'd like a nice drum sander and a good TS, but that's a bit much dough. For tools and stuff that is under $200: I have what I need AFAIK.
So, I figure you guys might have some good ideas. I'm sure you all want the same things I want, more or less.
What are some good ideas of stuff under 2 bills?

Justin Leiwig
11-20-2008, 3:26 PM
Books offer different perspectives on woodworking. That combined with a rockler or woodcraft giftcard would be good in my mind.

Jeff Craven
11-20-2008, 3:51 PM
I have what I need AFAIK.
Ask for something that you don't necessarily need, but would be nice to have. Like a chester toolworks marking knife: http://www.chestertoolworks.com/markingknives.htm

Kevin Groenke
11-20-2008, 3:57 PM
You cannot POSSIBLY have enough clamps.

I'll second the heirloom tool suggestion, put some things on there that you want but you're too cheap to buy yourself: a Starrett square, a LN or Veriitas block plane, a nice japanese Dozuki, something from Bridge City Tools.

-kg

Ben Rafael
11-20-2008, 4:46 PM
You cannot POSSIBLY have enough clamps.

I'll second the heirloom tool suggestion, put some things on there that you want but you're too cheap to buy yourself: a Starrett square, a LN or Veriitas block plane, a nice japanese Dozuki, something from Bridge City Tools.

-kg

I've got all that. That's the problem. There's nothing I can think of that I dont have or I wouldn't use.
I've put all this stuff on my lists for the past 10 years.
It doesn't have to be woodworking related, honestly, everything under $200 woodworking related that I could possibly want, I have. I dont like keeping stuff I dont use, so I've sold stuff I thought I'd use just to get it out of my hair.
I have an LV block plane, it's amazing, I use it more than an accountant uses pencils, but I dont really want or need another block plane. I know that some guys get off and love having several, that's just not me.

Jeff Craven
11-20-2008, 4:54 PM
Well then instead of asking for stuff, ask for an experience. Maybe tuition for some local class, or just a night out at a nice restaurant. Maybe a little trip to vegas. Maybe some museum that you've wanted to go to... Or ask to have a donation made to your favorite charity on your behalf. Be creative.

Glenn Clabo
11-20-2008, 4:58 PM
I have somewhat the same problem...and told my wife to just do what she felt would make me happy. She bought me a pair of these 4 years ago...THE MOST comfortable things I wear everyday. Just a thought...happy feet make happy men.
http://www.thewalkingcompany.com/common/Product.aspx?ProductID=3180&pagetag=Men_Exclusively_Ours&source=category

Ben Rafael
11-20-2008, 5:08 PM
Well then instead of asking for stuff, ask for an experience. Maybe tuition for some local class, or just a night out at a nice restaurant. Maybe a little trip to vegas. Maybe some museum that you've wanted to go to... Or ask to have a donation made to your favorite charity on your behalf. Be creative.

Night out at a nice restaurant is a good idea. Thanks!

Mark Hix
11-20-2008, 7:46 PM
How about a box of wood and a request to make something?

Rod Sheridan
11-21-2008, 8:21 AM
My wife wants a list from me. I want to provide one so I dont get clothes, books and other stuff I dont want. Frankly, I dont want anything. I have everything I need and want that doesn't cost a lot of money. Yeah, I'd like a nice drum sander and a good TS, but that's a bit much dough. For tools and stuff that is under $200: I have what I need AFAIK.
So, I figure you guys might have some good ideas. I'm sure you all want the same things I want, more or less.
What are some good ideas of stuff under 2 bills?

Hi Ben, for the last 10 years, I no longer accept Christmas presents. Like you, I have more than I need.

I always ask the kids to make a donation to a charity of their choice in my name.

This year we picked one of the missions that serve homeless men in Toronto.

If I remember correctly, a full Christmas dinner with all the trimmings costs $2.59 to sponsor, so between my two kids and Diann, 100 dinners were paid for.

I'll get much more stisfaction from that than more material stuff I don't need.

Regards, Rod.

Jim Becker
11-21-2008, 8:25 AM
Ask for something that you don't necessarily need, but would be nice to have.

This is very good advise.

Prashun Patel
11-21-2008, 9:11 AM
I go thru the same thing with my wife. So, I have a perpetually open shopping cart in Woodcraft, into which I put all my nice-to-haves. She can then just pick from there.

I also think I have everything I want/need until I go browsing (dangerous).

Some things on my wishlist:

36-48" k-body clamps
Planes
Diamond sharpening stones
170 pc drill bit set
Spiral carbide router bits
Freud Fusion blade
Wixey digital angle tsaw gauge

Nancy Laird
11-21-2008, 9:25 AM
Ben, get out your catalogs and go through them with a yellow marker. Mark the stuff you'd like to have, dog-ear the pages, then hand the stack of catalogs to your wife and tell her that's your Christmas list. That's what hubby does with me--so he knows what he's going to get but he doesn't know exactly what he's going to get. I get to make the decision on what to get him, but with his input so I make sure he gets what he wants. I do the same thing to him with clothing and other catalogs. Works for us.

Ben Rafael
11-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Ben, get out your catalogs and go through them with a yellow marker. Mark the stuff you'd like to have, dog-ear the pages, then hand the stack of catalogs to your wife and tell her that's your Christmas list. That's what hubby does with me--so he knows what he's going to get but he doesn't know exactly what he's going to get. I get to make the decision on what to get him, but with his input so I make sure he gets what he wants. I do the same thing to him with clothing and other catalogs. Works for us.

I did that one year and she got me everything. After that I made short lists.