PDA

View Full Version : Sears Craftsman Turning Tools

Chuck Jones
11-20-2008, 2:42 PM
Does anyone know if the Sears Craftsman tools often listed on ebay as "Sears Craftsman Professional Series" are HSS? It's not obvious from the pictures or the information supplied. I suspect they are older tools and probably not HSS.

I have a set of Craftsman turning tools from 25-30 years ago that are clearly labeled HSS. The handles are very different from the ones called Professional Series. I use some of them often and they are pretty darned good tools.

A friend who does mostly pens and ornaments has worn out a couple Craftsman 1/2" x 1/8" diamond parting tools and has had trouble finding replacements of any brand. Most of the 1/8" size are not diamond shaped. I did find one listed on Woodcraft's website.

Tom Wilson66
11-20-2008, 8:33 PM
Might try checking the Craftsman web site to see if they have any info. I have one of the 1/8" diamond parting tools, and I would not give it up.

Jeff Nicol
11-21-2008, 7:30 AM
Chuck, I have 2 sets of Craftsman turning tools but I am not sure if they are professional series. But everyone of them is stamped on the handle "HIGH SPEED STEEL". Both sets are about 25 years old. One was my Dads and the other set belonged to my cousins stepfather and he traded them to me for some turnings. They were still brand new with the tips covered in rubber! All of mine have a dark gray color to them not the bright finish of most HSS tools. Hope this helps.

Jeff

Richard Beuker
11-21-2008, 8:33 AM
Chuck I have 2 sets of Craftsman turning tools also. I got them maybe 25 yrs ago. I never used them until I started pen turning about 6 months ago. I now use them all the time and they work great. I turn nylon also for a company. The edge needs sharpening more but they work OK. I do not know how another tool would work. Better or Worse. But they are just fine. The tools are long. 10 inch handles stained redish, 4 1/2 inch steel black coated, all handles are marked HSS.

Bob Bergstrom
11-21-2008, 10:07 AM
When I started woodturning some 30+ years ago I bought my turning tools at Sears. If the blades are chrome or silvery looking with candy apple looking handles, they are probably not high speed steel. The ones with a black coating on the blades and stamped high speed steel on the handle are the good ones. Short blades but work well. The are great if the turnings aren't too big.

Chuck Jones
11-21-2008, 10:52 AM
The type like those in the old silverware box are labeled HSS.

The one's I'm not sure of are like the eight with reddish handles in the second picture.

I've seen several of both types on ebay, but descriptions are usually lacking because they are often being offered by people who are not wood turners.

(pictures courtesy of ebay)

Chuck Jones
11-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Bob,
You just answered my question. I didn't see your post before I posted the pictures.
Thanks