PDA

View Full Version : I have a cinnamon monkey on my back.

Ben Rafael
11-20-2008, 2:16 PM
I've been hopelessly addicted to hot, spicy, intense cinnamon flavor ever since I ate my first red hot when I was 6 years old.

Tic Tacs are weak. They should be illegal for being so lame.
Red hots are just average.
Most cinnamon candies are about average.
Altoid makes a better than average cinnamon candy that is not bad, but it still doesn't curl my hair.

What out there can provide a cinnamon jolt flavor like no other?

Paul Greathouse
11-20-2008, 3:01 PM
Around here there is a jawbreaker called Atomic Fireballs. You have to have pretty big kahuna's to keep one in your mouth without taking it out. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being "having smoke come out of your ears", they are about a 15 or 20.

They are sold individually wrapped. I quit eating them a few years back when I started eating more healthy. After the hot coating goes away your left with a ball of pure sugar.

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-39536451252835_2026_4042756

http://www.retrocandyonline.com/atfigi.html

Back in school we used to soak toothpicks in cinnamon oil and then sell them at school. After I got busted by the principal for cinnamon distribution my parents wouldn't allow me to continue my life of crime, so I was reduced to making them for my own use. About a year later I was digging around in the cabinet where I used to keep my cinnamon oil and found a bottle that I had been forgotten. When I took the toothpicks out they were nearly translucent. Talk about hot, thats the only thing hotter than Fireballs that I can remember.

Joe Pelonio
11-20-2008, 3:24 PM
I remember cinnamon sticks, we made them with oil but they were also sold ready to suck on, and the school did frown upon them.

I wonder if they still sell cinnamon oil?

Ben Rafael
11-20-2008, 3:32 PM
Cool on the atomic fireballs.
Now I can add one thing to my christmas list.

Mitchell Andrus
11-20-2008, 3:34 PM
Those fireballs are GREAT!!!!

Ted Shrader
11-20-2008, 3:55 PM
Ben -

Fireballs came to mind, but they are really just jawbreakers. The outer couple of layers are hot, then just candy all the way to the middle. I like them, but wish the heat was all the way through. Some folks have to take them out of their mouth during the first part. I never do - it ruins the effect.

I remember dipping the toothpicks in cinnamon oil . . . and the school frowning on them. Wonder if that is an age thing.

Regards,
Ted

Belinda Barfield
11-20-2008, 4:03 PM
I've been hopelessly addicted to hot, spicy, intense cinnamon flavor ever since I ate my first red hot when I was 6 years old.

Tic Tacs are weak. They should be illegal for being so lame.
Red hots are just average.
Most cinnamon candies are about average.
Altoid makes a better than average cinnamon candy that is not bad, but it still doesn't curl my hair.

What out there can provide a cinnamon jolt flavor like no other?

Ben, this may put a different monkey on your back. If you are not opposed to drinking alcohol try the following recipe. We call them Bulldog shots and typically consume them when the Dawgs score.

Fill a shot glass with Aftershock liquor (Cinnamon Schnapps will do in a pinch but Aftershock is a much more intense cinnamon). Add 5 to 10, 20 if you're bold, drops of Tabasco sauce, and shoot. Tastes just like a firey Red Hot.

Greg Cole
11-20-2008, 4:04 PM
Make your own hard candy and add all the cinnamon oil you want.
My mom made a lot of candy etc around Christmas.
Cinnamon oil is like Harbenero pepper oil... anything you touch even after washing your hands 10 times will burrrrrrrrn like hellllllllllllll.
Basically all ya need to do is boil sugar, add the cinammon oil and pour it into a mold & viola. Make it as hot as ya want.
Atomic fireballs lose the thrill after a couple & then ya have the whole jug to look at for another 3 years.

Ben Rafael
11-20-2008, 4:39 PM
Ben, this may put a different monkey on your back. If you are not opposed to drinking alcohol try the following recipe. We call them Bulldog shots and typically consume them when the Dawgs score.

Fill a shot glass with Aftershock liquor (Cinnamon Schnapps will do in a pinch but Aftershock is a much more intense cinnamon). Add 5 to 10, 20 if you're bold, drops of Tabasco sauce, and shoot. Tastes just like a firey Red Hot.

I'd have 2 monkeys on my back.
Never heard of cinnamon booze, what a concept!

Jim Becker
11-20-2008, 7:35 PM
To add to your pleasure, there are different varieties of cinnamon, too...Penzey's carries several.

Ben Rafael
11-21-2008, 10:58 AM
To add to your pleasure, there are different varieties of cinnamon, too...Penzey's carries several.

Cool site.
I never knew that there were so many different varieties of cinnamon.

Ben Franz
11-21-2008, 11:24 AM
Also Whole Spice Co. (Google) - much less expensive than Penzey's but not quite the variety of items.

Jim Becker
11-21-2008, 8:48 PM
Yea, Penzey's is an incredible source for spices and related items. Fresh and very high quality. No way would I buy spices in the super market after discovering Penzey's. They do have some retail stores, too. The closest one to me is in the Chestnut Hill area of Philadelphia, but I have not been there, to-date.

Not cinnamon (although there may be some in it), their "Barbecue of the Americas" mixture is you-know-whating awesome. I love it on beef, pork and chicken, either grilled or started in an iron skillet and finished in the oven. (Did a pork loin tonight with the latter method and it was outstanding)

Jim King
11-23-2008, 10:51 AM
I dont know yet what the species is but it is a cinnaman monkey. She is still scared over being shot down by some locals.