PDA

View Full Version : Pitting how much of a problem? can it be fixed.

Zahid Naqvi
06-02-2004, 10:43 AM
I have an offer to buy a sargent VBM #422 bench plane, everything looks fine except for some pitting on the sole. The pitting is on the back below the handle. How much of a problem is pitting? and can it be fixed? Here are some pictures of the plane.

Steve Wargo
06-02-2004, 11:41 AM
There is no need to be concerned about pitting on a jack plane. I have an old union that looks like it was at sea for 50 years then placed on a train track and hit about 40 times. It works perfect as a jack plane. I'd be more concerned if it was going to be used as a smoother. Hope this helps.

Steve Wargo
06-02-2004, 11:42 AM
That pitting doesn't look too bad. I highly doubt if you'll have any problems with this plane. If not, you can e-mail me offline and I'll gladly make an offer :).

Dave Anderson NH
06-02-2004, 12:24 PM
Hi Zahid-

The pitting is sure ugly, with a capital Ugh. It won't affect the performance of the plane however since it is away from the mouth. If the pitting had been around the mouth, or within about a half inch of it, then I would run away from the plane since it would be vary difficult to remove without thinning the sole too much. A plane mouth needs to be completely pitless in its leading edge or chips whill hang up and/or you can get tearout when planing. The back edge is a little less important, but only slightly less or your blade won't be supported properly.

I'd take and wire brush the pitting and clean it up as much as possible. Afterward, sand it lightly and again clean it with a solvent. The final step is to cover the area with a rust preventative to prevent it from rusting again. Remember that areas that have once been rusted and pitted are prone to have it happen again.

Marc Hills
06-03-2004, 11:51 AM
Hi Zahid:

I've rehabbed about 12 bench planes. In my limited experience, pitting on the sole is really not a problem (on the back of the blade, that's another matter DAMHIKT). When I go to the trouble to grind, lap or otherwise abrade the sole, the real purpose is to bring the area right around the throat in alignment with the heel and toe. Look at it this way: many bench planes have corrugated soles, which are much greater deformities than even the most severe pitting.

Note that corrugations on plane soles always terminate before and after the area around the throat opening, which backs up Dave Anderson's comment that only severe pitting right around the throat could conceivably present any problems.

If it puts your mind further at ease, the pitting in your pictures looks minimal to my eyes, it's not around the throat and since it's a jointer, it just isn't going to be an issue. FYI: the Sargent VBM line of planes are of very high quality. I think you'll be pleased.