PDA

View Full Version : Watco/Arm r seal?

larry bailey
11-20-2008, 10:57 AM
Would it be o.k. to use Arm r seal over top of danish oil?

Prashun Patel
11-20-2008, 11:17 AM
I bet it would work, since Arm-R-Seal is an oil/urethane combination. If the base coat contained wax or waterborne solvents, I might put a sealcoat of dewaxed shellac between.

In fact, I've come to love dewaxed shellac because it's easy and quick to apply; so I've been using it under topcoats with great success - even when it's not 100% necessary. The topcoat starts building on the first application.

I would, however, make sure your d-oil coat has cured properly b4 topcoating, else it could compromise the cure of the topcoat.

Howard Acheson
11-20-2008, 12:45 PM
Would it be o.k. to use Arm r seal over top of danish oil?
:)
No problem.......

larry bailey
11-20-2008, 2:24 PM
Thanks for the responses --

I have a second question -- Would it make more sense to use the danish oil/ arm r seal combo or would it be better to use a coat of dark garnet shellac and then the arm r seal on top of that?

I am finishing a couple of cherry nightstands and I'm looking for a little darker color to start without using a dark stain. -- Thanks - LB

Steve Schoene
11-20-2008, 3:03 PM
This is strictly an appearance issue and you pretty much have to just do a test. For that matter, your best option, if you are going to use varnish as a top coat, is to apply one coat of boiled linseed oil for the "grain popping" coat before applying the varnish top coat. You might also consider switching your top coat to Waterlox varnish for a little clearer finish.

By the way, Armour Seal isn't an oil/varnish mix, it is just a fairly ordinary uralkyd varnish.