PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Dean Karavite
11-20-2008, 7:00 AM
Hi all. Just wondering if anyone had experience taking courses at the Philadelphia Furniture Workshop. Here is a link:
http://www.philadelphiafurnitureworkshop.com/category/show_levels

I believe one or more of the founders were written up in one of the mags with high praise. I pretty much have zero doubt they are great teachers, but thought I would ask. The courses are a little pricey, but if these guys can really teach me to hand cut dovetails, well that would be something! I have been trying to teach myself, but it's not pretty. I won't even show the dog what I come up with.

Bob Lang
11-20-2008, 7:42 AM
I was there a couple of weeks ago to do a photo shoot with Mario Rodriguez, and while I was there had the chance to see both Mario and Alan Turner working one on one with a student. I doubt that you could find better instructors (or a better facility) anywhere. These are good people who really know their stuff, and they put a tremendous amount of thought into their courses and the way they teach.

Bob Lang

John Powers
11-20-2008, 8:59 AM
Been there twice. Alan and Mario are great teachers and fun to be around. Tasty Chili in the crock pot for lunch. You should go and I'll bet you'll learn to cut dovetails and more. Might be there myself; yesterdays effort ended up in the trash....again.

Jim Becker
11-20-2008, 11:09 AM
I have not taken courses, but have visited there a number of times. Alan and Mario are top shelf. The learning environment and instructors, both in-house and brought in special, are outstanding. Alan is also a long time member of SMC and does incredible work in his own right, including a wonderful Newport piece that made the gallery in Fine Woodworking awhile back. Mario is well known in the woodworking world.

whit richardson
11-20-2008, 11:54 AM
I was looking over that link and their classes and progression of classes is something I would love to find in my area, Indiana. We have Marc Adams but most of his classes require a full week off and up and over $600.

Anyone have any info on someone or folks who teach this stuff in the Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky areas?

Jeff Craven
11-20-2008, 11:57 AM
Alan and Mario are both great teachers. I have taken a class on hand tools, the toolbox course and recently the workbench course. I learned to cut dovetails during the toolbox course and you can see my results here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=52115

That gave me the confidence to tackle other dovetailing projects: My shaker stool (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=54617), Box w/ mitered dovetails (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=56566), shaker blanket chest (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=78309).

The prices of the courses are expensive, but it is an amazing workshop and the instruction is top notch.

Bill Latham
11-20-2008, 9:52 PM
Dean,

I have taken classes from Mario Rodriguez and Alan Turner in the past.

Their shop is clean, well equipped, and both men are well qualified in all areas of woodworking.

Take their class you will not be disappointed.

You will get plenty of hands on instruction and all of your questions will be answered.

You will have confidence in your abilities after you leave.

Lunch is hot and fresh daily.

Regards,
Bill

Zahid Naqvi
11-20-2008, 10:15 PM
I have not taken a class there, but I have met Alan (a long time SMC member and you can read his interview in the sticky above). Mario is a very well known woodworker. I have no doubt they are great teachers.

Ian Roth
11-20-2008, 10:46 PM
My Dad took the dovetail class about a year ago. I got him the class for his 70th birthday. He raved about the class for weeks. He even learned how to do make dovetails;) I would have taken the class with him but couldn't afford it. If you can afford it, I don't think you'll regret it.

Good Luck!
Ian

Dean Karavite
11-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Wow, enough said, I am sold. Alas, the dovetail class just happened and I have to wait for Feb. The workbench class would be my ideal summer week long vacation. I doubt my wife would agree, but you never know.

Mike Davi
11-21-2008, 12:07 PM
I know, you said you were sold...

I have taken about 6 classes, so far. No complaints here.

If you have questions about any of the classes or the shop, give Alan a call or drop him an email. He's always been helpful with me.

Dean Karavite
11-21-2008, 6:40 PM
Thanks Mike! I seem to have missed the season for courses, but come winter it seems all the courses are available again. Honestly, how do you choose? It's funny, but a friend of mine commented that for the price of the dovetail course you could buy a nice Leigh dovetail jig, but I think that kind of misses the point. I think of this like playing a musical instrument. Sure, I could go out and buy a drum machine with all kinds of pre-programmed drum beats, or I could learn to play drums! Which will last longer? Which will be more versatile for me in the short and long term?

Jeff Craven
11-22-2008, 12:35 PM
I think of this like playing a musical instrument. Sure, I could go out and buy a drum machine with all kinds of pre-programmed drum beats, or I could learn to play drums! Which will last longer? Which will be more versatile for me in the short and long term?
Exactly, the skills I've learned are way more valuable and versatile than some fancy tool. You aren't just learning how to dovetail, you also learn about the tools, how to get them to do what you want and possibly more important you learn how to fix mistakes. :o