PDA

View Full Version : Plywood into blanks

Kevin Baker
11-20-2008, 5:43 AM
Hi Everyone...

Getting ready to take delivery of my laser early next week and in the process of getting lots of things to practice on. As I began to look at the wood blanks, I remembered I have a company called The Wurth Wood Group close to me. I have a table saw out in the garage and was thinking of purchasing a sheet of plywood then cutting it down to 12" x 24" blanks. Anyone done this before? Good ideal?

Thanks,
Kevin

Phil Garcia
11-20-2008, 6:16 AM
That's a great idea.... However, I would use of the other materials first...glass, tile, marble, laser-able plastic pieces, etc... due to fact that the plywood builds up residue quickly on your laser engraver. When I first started I wanted to spend more time engraving than cleaning. I had some great success with plywood and still do. Other than that, good luck with your new engraver and welcome aboard.

Frank Corker
11-20-2008, 7:29 AM
Kevin it's not a bad idea, but not everyone likes plywood, it has problems of it's own such as that already mentioned. Because it's made up of layers each piece might cut in a different way, natural solid wood will cut much better. Also a variety of woods will give you a better idea of what you have to do to get a decent image, be it writing or photograph, plywood doesn't always make the grade in my opinion (of which I am entitled to have).

Kevin Baker
11-20-2008, 9:18 AM
Phil / Frank -

Thanks for the insight. You guys ROCK!

Thanks again,
Kevin

Todd Schwartz
11-20-2008, 5:27 PM
Kevin - been there, done that.

Lessons learned.
- plywood bad, good baltic birch good.
- It is cold in November cutting big plywood sheets in the garage/driveway in Iowa
- baltic birch comes in 5 X 5 sheets and does not fit into my van or SUV
- Makes lots of noise and sawdust that tracks into the house and disturbs all of my girls who are watching Desperate Housewives/biggest loser/Bachelor/pick your favorite chick show.
- by the third sheet your back aches, your feet hurt and your assistant is done

Solution:
Michael Kowalczyk
For not much more $$$ you can get the good stuff cut and delivered to your doorstep. After 2 years of thinking I was being wise in cutting my own and taking chances on the quality (have a pile now full of glue voids that will not cut consistently) my next order is going Mike's way.

Just my two cents.

Todd

Michael Kowalczyk
11-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Kevin - been there, done that.

Lessons learned.
- plywood bad, good baltic birch good.
- It is cold in November cutting big plywood sheets in the garage/driveway in Iowa
- baltic birch comes in 5 X 5 sheets and does not fit into my van or SUV
- Makes lots of noise and sawdust that tracks into the house and disturbs all of my girls who are watching Desperate Housewives/biggest loser/Bachelor/pick your favorite chick show.
- by the third sheet your back aches, your feet hurt and your assistant is done

Solution:
Michael Kowalczyk
For not much more $$$ you can get the good stuff cut and delivered to your doorstep. After 2 years of thinking I was being wise in cutting my own and taking chances on the quality (have a pile now full of glue voids that will not cut consistently) my next order is going Mike's way.

Just my two cents.

Todd

Thanks Todd, I appreciate the kind words of wisdom and slight plug.;)

There is No better way to explain it than to someone who has been there done that!

Oh and thanks again, Kevin did PM me.:)