PDA

View Full Version : new to owning a laser.

Nadia Zois
11-20-2008, 1:07 AM
i just bought a versalaser. i have not got it yet, but it should be here next week.

rubber stamps and cutting out acrylic charms are a big reason for me wanting to get one.

i was wondering if you guys have any useful tips for me?

i am going to be having the laser in my house, i have been told this is safe. do any of you guys have one in your house?

Phil Garcia
11-20-2008, 1:20 AM
Yes, I do have at home for those late night jobs. Just remember about the noise of the blower of course the odor from during plastics and wood can annoy neighbors so just a word on that. The other thing is be sure duct work on the blower is tight to the outside since winter is coming you do not want water running down the duct work into your home. Good luck in engraving!!! If you need any help this is the place... a bunch of good people here on this forum...

Frank Corker
11-20-2008, 7:38 AM
Welcome to the Creek, I'm sure that you are going to be very happy here, advice aplenty. My first bit of advice is to read all of the old posts, there is so much valuable information here and there is a 'search' facility at the top of this page which you can use to find specific questions that may already have been answered.

Second bit of advice is to start with the acrylic. Cast acrylic has a sweetish smell to it and really not that bad. Extruded acrylic stinks and not very good to engrave with. Rubber just stinks! This is going to be an excellent way of determining what you will be able to get away with inside the house believe me.

I used to have my laser inside the house but with the extractor tube hanging out of the window. (needs must). Now I have a small cabin in the back garden (which is where my wife says I live) and this gives me no problems with the neighbours (....they still hate me but no offensive smells coming from the house and no pipe out the window).

Bill Cunningham
11-20-2008, 10:57 PM
i just bought a versalaser. i have not got it yet, but it should be here next week.

rubber stamps and cutting out acrylic charms are a big reason for me wanting to get one.

i was wondering if you guys have any useful tips for me?

i am going to be having the laser in my house, i have been told this is safe. do any of you guys have one in your house?

You sure don't want to be engraving 'rubber stamps' in the house.. The polymer is not as bad, but still smells enough to permeate through the entire house, clothes, drapes, furniture.. Yer wife is just going to love it..:D:eek: