PDA

View Full Version : Adding to Vortex...

Tamara Brown
11-20-2008, 12:15 AM
OK, Brian has been teasing you with the Christmas projects we are doing but I thought I would show you why he hasn't had time to turn more.:rolleyes: Our nephew came for a visit earlier this year and his one request was that he turn a Harry Potter wand. His older brother had done one the year before and he really wanted to be that cool! Well, he took to turning like a duck to water and so he got to turn a whole bowl. Yes, Brian is a good and patient teacher and he has alot of fun toys...and with 12 nephews of varying ages there will be plenty more introductions to the vortex in the future. :D Wish him luck!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-20-2008, 12:24 AM
That is precious Tamara! Congrats to the nephew and Brian!

Scott Conners
11-20-2008, 12:51 AM
Man, I wish MY first bowl was that nice! Great job nephew! I would keep him away from any mad-scientists labs though, he's got the look!

Jeff Nicol
11-20-2008, 7:24 AM
I too have a group of youngsters that all want to turn something on the lathe. From my nephew to my best friends little boy and my cousins stepson. I am impressed by the patience and love your husband showed by helping his nephew to become a new member of the VORTEX! THey both did a wonderful job as you can see by the smile on that young mans face! It is a pleasure to pass on skills and knowledge to the next generation! Simply wonderful!!!

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
11-20-2008, 9:31 AM
Tamara that is awesome. It is so great that Brian has the patience to work with kids. I got my nephew started in turning. So I gave him my Delta LA 200 for Christmas a year ago. He is in college but turns from time to time.

Keith Burns
11-20-2008, 9:44 AM
Wonderful story Tamara. It is obvious thet your Nephew has a future in turning. That is a terrific bowl and wand.

Steve Schlumpf
11-20-2008, 10:30 AM
Tamara - always great to hear when someone passes their skills on to the younger generation! Judging from the young man's expression - he is justifiably proud of his work! Be sure to let him know how everyone here were very impressed with his work!

Thanks for sharing!

David Drickhamer
11-20-2008, 10:31 AM
It's a great thing getting kids involved in things productive. Two of my grand daughters ages 12 and 13 love to come over and now have free rein of my shop (with my supervision of course) So far they've both made several pens, bowls and mushrooms. My oldest grand daughter loves the stuff and says she'll take anything I want to make her. Oh well, she may come around someday.
When I upgraded to my 14" Jet the 13 year old asked if she could have my midi lath, she wanted to put it in her bedroom.

Don Orr
11-20-2008, 11:15 AM
Throw them into the abyss early and you never know where they'll end up ! Nice work young man.