PDA

View Full Version : Cottonwood rimmed bowl

Curt Fuller
11-19-2008, 11:22 PM
This is a piece of cottonwood that has a little bit of cracking, some spalting, a couple nail holes, some crotch wood, and some of that chatoyance type stuff. It's just under 12" diameter, 4" tall.

Steve Schlumpf
11-19-2008, 11:25 PM
Curt - that wood looks alive! Beautiful stuff! Very nice form and finish! Really like the different rim detail - separates the rim and interior of the bowl! Nice effect!

Very nice work - as always! Thanks for sharing!

Scott Conners
11-20-2008, 1:00 AM
Man I wish I could hold that in my hands, it looks like it just glows! Gorgeous piece of wood for sure. What's the finish on it?

steven carter
11-20-2008, 7:42 AM
Curt,

Beautiful bowl, got a lot of thing goin on in it, and I really like the rim treatment.

Bernie Weishapl
11-20-2008, 9:26 AM
Curt that is a beauty. That wood is beautiful and has a lot going on. Rim treatment is great. Curt was that cottonwood dry or green? Just curious. You had told me a while ago to get cottonwood just as the bark was coming off the tree.

Keith Burns
11-20-2008, 9:50 AM
Excellent bowl Curt. I really like the rim detail.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-20-2008, 9:56 AM
I like the form, the rim treatment and that wood has a lot of character! Nicely done Curt!

Curt Fuller
11-20-2008, 6:42 PM
Curt that is a beauty. That wood is beautiful and has a lot going on. Rim treatment is great. Curt was that cottonwood dry or green? Just curious. You had told me a while ago to get cottonwood just as the bark was coming off the tree.

Thanks everyone!

Bernie, this wood came from a tree I cut down a year or so back. But it had been dead when I cut it for quite a while, all the bark was gone and it was splitting pretty good. Then this particular piece sat on the ground in my garden since last fall and had some good spalting going on. Green, fresh cut cottonwood is pretty plain, just a creamy color, and very stringy to turn. The weather and time and the spalting are what make it have the nice colors and when it's dry it's a lot nicer to turn.

Bernie Weishapl
11-20-2008, 11:04 PM
Thanks Curt for the additional info. I have a ton of cottonwood standing dead and on the ground over at the farm. I will have to get some for sure after seeing yours.