PDA

View Full Version : Awed by ebony slabs

Scott Rollins
11-19-2008, 10:32 PM
I saw these chunks of ebony at my local supplier this week. I have never seen it like this. Sorry for the poor quality picture from my phone.

David DeCristoforo
11-19-2008, 11:00 PM
Those look like some mighty fine chess pieces.....

Jim Tobias
11-20-2008, 12:15 AM
Scott,
I have actually bought any ebony that I have used in slabs just like that. You can buy it by the lb. from Tropical Exotic hardwoods of Latin America. One slab will last me a year or more since I am only using it for accents or inlays, etc.
It is cheaper in the long run to by it this way as long as you don't mind spending the time to resaw and sand it to fit your needs.

Jim

Montgomery Scott
11-20-2008, 9:51 AM
Biggest one I ever saw was at a local Rockler over a decade ago. It was an entire log section 4' long and about 16" diameter. They only wanted $9,000 for it. Ebony is nice, but I prefer African blackwood.

Chris Padilla
11-20-2008, 10:34 AM
Did you try lifting a chunk up? So heavy...like a chunk of steel....

Evan Galipeau
11-20-2008, 10:36 AM
I bought a big hunk of ebony like that a while ago. It actually started to split significantly. Just something to be aware of when buying large hunk of ebony.

Richard M. Wolfe
11-20-2008, 1:04 PM
Guy where I used to work spent a lot of time in Africa and has a chair in his office that is carved from two pieces of ebony. Can't say much about the craftsmanship (it's not a conventional chair) but doubt I will ever see larger pieces of ebony. The back is probably sixteen inches wide and is a single piece.