PDA

View Full Version : Whole House Humidifier

Kurt Strandberg
11-19-2008, 7:13 PM
Any one have any info or can recommend (or one to stay away from) a whole house humidifier that you install into the furnace

Thanks

Matt Ocel
11-19-2008, 7:26 PM
Any one have any info or can recommend (or one to stay away from) a whole house humidifier that you install into the furnace

Thanks

April Air.

How old is your home?

Do you have an HRV (air exchanger)?

Al Willits
11-19-2008, 8:08 PM
Aprilaire is what I have and its worked well, Honeywell makes some units that work well too.
Biggest thing is to replace the water panel when needed.

Company I work for has sold both and servicing seems to be about equal in maintance and repairs.

Al

David G Baker
11-19-2008, 11:37 PM
The previous owner of my house had a whole house humidifier. He said that it worked great except for the horrible amount of iron in the well water. He added a water softener and had better results but they were far from desirable. He had it removed. I use a large portable unit that uses up a wick every month. I tried the small Honeywell units that worked great for a while but covered everything with a white powder so I started using bottled water and that worked great.

Kevin Arceneaux
11-20-2008, 12:36 AM
Or move to South Louisiana and leave the windows open.

Kurt Strandberg
11-20-2008, 5:46 AM
April Air.

How old is your home?

Do you have an HRV (air exchanger)?

Our house is 11 years old, no air exchanger.

Or move to South Louisiana and leave the windows open.

Not the cheapest option, but a good one.

We have a split entry and the air get dry this time of the year until spring, we have a 55 gallon aquarium and about 1" of water a week evaporates from that.

The free standing humidifiers sound like allot of weekly maintenance.

Matt Ocel
11-20-2008, 7:52 AM
Kurt -
Were you planning on installing, or having an HVAC contractor?
If your planning on installing, make sure you install the h2o line from a hot water source, make sure you hook up the outside air sensor, and because you don't have an air exchanger, you will have to manually adjust the percentage of moisture you put in the air during our very cold days ie below z.
and finaly, put get a cheap humidistat at borg.
Here is where some might disagree, I like around 35 % humidity in the winter.

Al Willits
11-20-2008, 8:49 AM
35 to 45% is considered a good range to try for, but it does depend on outside temps, the newer humidifiers can come with a outside sensor that regulate hum according to temps.

With hard water just change the water pannel more often.

Also don't try for pinpoint levels, the unit and the house won't recover fast enough to keep up.

In Minn I'd hook to the hot water line also.

Al