PDA

View Full Version : Advise on Air Shield by Trend

Ken Salisbury
06-02-2004, 8:20 AM
I have had some real problems with my breathing lately, especially when using my large lathe (16-42) making bowls, etc. I am seriously looking at buying an "Air Shield" by Trend. A quick and dirty search came up with a best price of $249.00 with free shipping from here: http://www.osolnikmachinery.com/airshield.htm

Has anyone dealt with this company ??

Anyone know of a cheaper price ??

Any expeirience with this faceshield/respirator ??

I really need something like this in order to continue by woodturning activities.

Bob Hovde
06-02-2004, 9:21 AM
I have had some real problems with my breathing lately, especially when using my large lathe (16-42) making bowls, etc. I am seriously looking at buying an "Air Shield" by Trend. A quick and dirty search came up with a best price of $249.00 with free shipping from here: http://www.osolnikmachinery.com/airshield.htm

Has anyone dealt with this company ??

Anyone know of a cheaper price ??

Any expeirience with this faceshield/respirator ??

I really need something like this in order to continue by woodturning activities.

Ken,

Sorry to hear about your problems. Joe Osolnik is good to work with. You can contact him by email or phone (Leave a message and he'll call back.). I bought a BS and lathe from him. About the "Air Shield" I have no knowledge.

Bob

Pete Fox
06-02-2004, 9:37 AM
Ken,

I don't know about the Trend unit, but I have the older 3m version (the Power Visor). It does a decent job and it offers good facial protection; however there are times when I wonder if I should have spent the money and gotten a unit with a filter that captures more of the finer dust.

I do notice a difference in my breathing when I do and don't wear it - so I know it is capturing some of the finer sanding dust from my pen turning.

Pete

Bob Hovde
06-02-2004, 10:03 AM
Ken,

Have you looked at http://www.zianet.com/calexander/index.html and considered their depression chamber solution to small dust particles? It makes more sense to me to get rid of the particles rather than just protect yourself from them. I think I just talked myself into buying their tape to see what the solution really is. I'll let you know. Maybe we can come up with a Huntsville solution!

Bob

Ian Barley
06-02-2004, 11:01 AM
Can't speak for the supplier but I have used the trend from time to time. I got on fine with it and it does the job. Trend have a very big profile over here in UK and are one of the major suppliers, especially of cutters etc. They are a good company although they are sometimes a bit full in their pricing.

Hope that you solve your breathing problems - I would really hate to not get to see your always interesting work.

Regards

Ian

Halsey MCCombs
06-02-2004, 11:53 AM
Ken did you check out airwareamerica.com They have a good selection. No connection. Sorry to hear of your problem.Halsey

Alan Tolchinsky
06-02-2004, 3:33 PM
I have a basement shop and use it a lot even with my DC system. I always felt I need this when sanding on the lathe. It may not be as comfortable as the Trend but it's effective. Actually I wear it for hours and don't find it bad at all. Mine has the soft silicone edges that seal to your face. Alan in Md.

Bob Oswin
06-02-2004, 7:56 PM
Should a guy try to quit smoking before he blames the woods and reaches for a dust mask ?

Bob :D

Mike Cutler
06-03-2004, 8:11 AM
Ken. I've never used the Trend Air Shield in the shop. I have used the 3M version at work. We use it in nuclear power plants in potentially contaminated areas as an alternative to a full face air purifying repirator which is very uncomfortable. It's not the lightest thing in the world but it does keep the airborne particles off your face while it's running. The face shield also doesn't fog up when in use which is great if you wear glasses. Wear a "do rag" or a welders hat underneath the headgear, the retention device can get a little uncomfortable after awhile. Good Luck

Greg Heppeard
06-03-2004, 9:33 AM
Ken,

Your Trend Air Shield is on the way...shipped yesterday.

Ken Salisbury
06-03-2004, 9:36 AM
Ken,

Your Trend Air Shield is on the way...shipped yesterday.
Thanks Greg - can't wait to get it ! ! !

p.s. check your e-mail. I sent you a bunch of FPP stuff this morning.

Chris Padilla
06-03-2004, 11:20 AM
Ken,

We require a picture of you in that helmet! :D

Don Farr
06-03-2004, 11:37 AM
Ken, Finally some thing I know about. I bought one of the Airtrend units several months ago when I came down with pneumonia. I love it.......I found it had several unadvertised features like a place for dual batteries. It is light weight and comfortable to wear. I guess if I wanted to point out one negative thing about it would be the noise the little blower makes, but even then you really only hear it if you are not running some equipment.
Also works well over glasses and beards. Never fogs......
You made a good choice and got it cheaper than me.

Al Beck
06-03-2004, 5:02 PM
Hi Ken,
I'm a new member, but I have used the Airshield for about two months. It is very comfortable and does not fog. Great piece of equipment!
Al

Ken Fitzgerald
06-03-2004, 11:54 PM
Welcome to the 'Creek Al! :) You should start a new thread and introduce yourself so guys like Tyler can "take a swing at you!" In the thread promise to post lots of pictures and Tyler and Johm M will stay off your back. That's if Chis P. remembers to Fedex their "meds" to them. :eek: :) :D Seriously, I joined in January and find it an extremely neat forum here. Lots of neat people with varied skill levels from pros to beginners. Everyone exchanges ideas and opinions.....Neat bunch! Again......Welcome!