PDA

View Full Version : Dust collection and the Ridgid R4330

Mark Engel
11-19-2008, 5:53 PM
So, I finally replaced my old Ryobi AP12 planer with a refurbished Ridgid R4330. It just arrived today. I got it set up but haven't run any lumber through it yet.

My question relates to the dust collection hood. It is set up to accept either a 2-1/2" shop vac or a 4" dust collector, but the actual hole in the hood is only 2-1/2" in diameter. I have a dust collector with 4" flex pipe, which fits nicely, but is still sucking through a 2-1/2" orifice.

Has anyone figured out an easy (or any) way to remove that 2-1/2" insert? It appears to be glued in there. It seems logical to me that a full 4" hole would be much more effective at evacuating all the chips than a 2-1/2" hole would be.

If I ever needed to attach a shop vac 2-1/2" hose, I have a stash of adapters that would allow me to do that. I just can't ever see where (or why) that would be neccessary.

Michael Donahue
11-19-2008, 6:02 PM
So, I finally replaced my old Ryobi AP12 planer with a refurbished Ridgid R4330. It just arrived today. I got it set up but haven't run any lumber through it yet.

My question relates to the dust collection hood. It is set up to accept either a 2-1/2" shop vac or a 4" dust collector, but the actual hole in the hood is only 2-1/2" in diameter. I have a dust collector with 4" flex pipe, which fits nicely, but is still sucking through a 2-1/2" orifice.

Has anyone figured out an easy (or any) way to remove that 2-1/2" insert? It appears to be glued in there. It seems logical to me that a full 4" hole would be much more effective at evacuating all the chips than a 2-1/2" hole would be.

If I ever needed to attach a shop vac 2-1/2" hose, I have a stash of adapters that would allow me to do that. I just can't ever see where (or why) that would be neccessary.

It just popped right out on my planer.

Mark Engel
11-19-2008, 6:05 PM
Really?

I was pulling and twisting on that thing and it did not want to budge. I was afraid I was going to break something.

All you did was pull it out? Do you have a technique you can share? :D

Michael Donahue
11-19-2008, 8:28 PM
Really?

I was pulling and twisting on that thing and it did not want to budge. I was afraid I was going to break something.

All you did was pull it out? Do you have a technique you can share? :D

Is dumb luck a technique? :D

Alex Carrera
11-19-2008, 9:09 PM
I stopped trying to get mine out. I think I'll have to look at it again.

Jim Butterfield
11-19-2008, 10:10 PM
It's been a while, but as I recall you can poke a broomstick in from the 2 1/2" end and pop out the plug in the 4" end. I found that the 2 1/2" outlet gets jammed easily when I was planing some doug fir. That was before I had a DC. Now I have it hooked to the 4" end and have no problems.

Good luck!

Matthew Hills
11-20-2008, 1:07 AM
If true, this tip alone paid for my subscription to Sawmill Creek!

Matt

Mark Engel
11-20-2008, 9:11 AM
Is dumb luck a technique? :D

It's the technique I usually use. :rolleyes:

Anyway, after reading others success in removing the plug, I decided to try again. I was able to tap it out from the inside with a piece of wood and a hammer. Just a few light taps around the inside edges loosened it up enough to where it could be pulled free.

Gonna have to run some stock through the machine later today to see how everything works. :D

frank shic
11-20-2008, 9:35 AM
your chip removal will improve dramatically with the 4" duct. have fun!

Andy Sowers
11-20-2008, 4:22 PM
I'll have to try that on my R4430... Thanks!

By the way... where are you guys getting your replacement knives from. All the local home depots around here (Bay Area, CA) only stock the older knives for the TP1300. I checked and these show up on their website... but I hate to pay shipping costs...

Todd Hyman
11-20-2008, 4:34 PM
I'll have to try that on my R4430... Thanks!

By the way... where are you guys getting your replacement knives from. All the local home depots around here (Bay Area, CA) only stock the older knives for the TP1300. I checked and these show up on their website... but I hate to pay shipping costs...

Check another Home Depot. If you can get the sku from the internet call one of the stores and have them search for you.

Mark Engel
11-21-2008, 7:40 PM
Wow, what a run around on trying to get replacement blades for this thing.

My sister-in-law works the customer service desk at HD. My wife gave her the printout from the HD web site showing the part number and the SKU for this blade set. She could not find it in the computer and checked with several nearby stores with no luck. On top of that, the set is currently out-of-stock on-line. Based on this, I started to make some phone calls.

First call was to Ridgid customer service(or so I thought). The voice mail system gave me no option to get to anyone that could help with getting planer blades, so I just picked something that would get me to a real person. That person said they would transfer me to someone that could help. I was transfered to distributor in Gardener, MA., somewhat local, I am in New Hampshire. She was unable to find part number AC20501, but she was able to find the blades for the R4330 planer. The price was $27.39... EACH. So a set of three would cost me $82.17, plus S&H!

I told her that HD sells the set for $29.99. She said she had no control over pricing.

Back on the phone. I tried Ridgid again and got to speak with someone else about the blades. He did not have any information about pricing, but he did give me a part number (089170105052) that he said the special order desk at HD could use to order the blades for me. He also indicated that pricing was completely determined by HD.

Back on the phone. I called a (relatively) local HD with all the important numbers in hand. I spoke with a very nice lady at the special order desk. She didn't need my numbers since she didn't have the 'books'. She transfered me to an equally nice guy in the tool shed. He just asked me what planer I wanted blades for. I told him what I was looking for, and after a asking me a couple of questions, he said, well I have blah,blah,blah, and I have AC20501.

EUREKA!

I asked him to set the package aside for me and I would pick them up this weekend. He said, "No need, we have a dozen sets, and they are always in stock."

[/rant]

Mark Engel
11-21-2008, 7:45 PM
Oh BTW, here are all the numbers that you will (probably) ever need:

Ridgid part number: AC20501
HD on-line SKU: 673-955
Ridgid part number, or HD special order number(?) 089170105052

Ridgid customer service telephone number (probably useless) 1-800-474-3443

Good luck. If you find the replacement blades, anywhere, do what I am going to do, buy a few sets, just to be safe. ;)

Thomas Williams
11-21-2008, 8:38 PM
Mark:
Just curious, why do you need replacement blades so soon? I went through a few hundred board feet before I needed to change in my Delta.

Mark Engel
11-22-2008, 4:06 PM
Mark:
Just curious, why do you need replacement blades so soon? I went through a few hundred board feet before I needed to change in my Delta.

I used to be a Boy Scout and the motto stuck! :D

But, seriously, I don't need them yet, just want to have a backup set on hand, just in case.

Loren Hedahl
11-22-2008, 5:31 PM
Mark:

Same here, on an old Ryobi AP-10 that still runs like a champ.

Harley Reasons
11-23-2008, 8:22 PM
Check with Global Tooling and see if they have the T1 knives to fit the 4330. I purchased two sets of T1 knives for my Ridgid Joiner and couldn't be more satisfied with them. Two sets delivered via Priority Mail was $35.00, price was right.

Look in your manual and get the size (height x width x thickness)

Global Tools (http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/index.html) (Link for informational purposes only)