PDA

View Full Version : laser cutting stencils

Linda Kroeker
11-19-2008, 1:33 PM
With all the talk on here about lasering material that may have PVC in it...I'm now wondering if these stencil sheets I lasered has something weird in it...
They lasered with a rusty looking residue...is this cause for worry? The package had no material label. If kinda figured it was what you find a Michaels...has anyone ever laser cut these?
Thanks you,
Linda

Mike Null
11-19-2008, 1:45 PM
I can't answer that question but you can buy mylar and oil board for stencils, both of which are safe.

Did you have your blower on?

Michael Hunter
11-19-2008, 2:10 PM
I've found that polycorbonate gives a brown, rusty-looking edge, but haven't seen brown mess on the surface like you got. Still, I think you are probably working polycarb.

Quite easy to check for PVC :
Heat a piece of copper wire in a flame, until the flame is not coloured.
Let the wire cool a bit, then press it (still quite hot) into the suspect material (you want some to stick to the wire).
Put the wire back into the flame - if the flame shows GREEN, then the material has chlorides in it and the material is (or contains) PVC.

Joe Pelonio
11-19-2008, 3:26 PM
Looks like polycarbonate to me too. See if it otherwise appears to be acrylic but the corner won't break off, that is a good sign that it's PC. Also, the smoke tends to be yellow.

Gary Hair
11-19-2008, 3:43 PM
You can ask the manager of the store for and MSDS sheet for any item they carry. They may not have to have it in the store but they must have it available for you. I would let them do the research and not spend your valuable time doing something they should do.

Gary

Frank Corker
11-19-2008, 3:46 PM
You don't think you might be cutting too slow?

Richard Rumancik
11-20-2008, 10:25 AM
I have not seen orange residue with polycarbonate. With polycarbonate the smoke is yellow-green and the edges will be golden brown in thin gauges (.020") and brown with thicker sheets.

PVC tends to generate orange smoke because of the chlorine.

Linda Kroeker
11-20-2008, 11:01 AM
Thank you all, think I'll stick to material I know doesn't have PVC. It's so hard to know, I'll have to try the copper test.

The material package said Clear Templete Plastic from Quilting Basket...my settings were: 80s 20p 5000fr...I'm still so new at this lasering stuff, but I have learned alot from the creek.