PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question

Jason Solodow
11-19-2008, 12:38 PM
I'm a turner, not a laser guy, so forgive me if this is a dumb question:

Can a last engraver be used on curved surfaces? Specifically a bottle stopper? If so, does anyone know of someone who has an engraver for hire in the central Indiana area?

Thanks!

Dave Johnson29
11-19-2008, 1:03 PM
Can a last engraver be used on curved surfaces? Specifically a bottle stopper?

Hi Jason,

Welcome to the group. Stuff can be engraved on a bottle stopper providing the parts of the stopper are made from a material that can be marked with these lower powered lasers. Meaning that anodized aluminum can be marked but stainless steel can not be. Well, actually it can be using a liquid product that is burned onto the metal. Search here on Cermark for more info.

The round shape requires the use of a rotary adapter that rotates the round object under the beam.

I cannot help with someone to do the work but they will need a rotary attachment unless the curved section is quite short and thus does not change in and out of *perfect* focus too far. I have flat lasered a beer mug 5" diameter mug with a 2-1/4" long pattern and it turned out fine. However if you need say 40 degrees or more of the surface marked then a rotary is mandatory.

Mike Null
11-19-2008, 1:49 PM
Jason

Take a look here. Maybe there is somebody close.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/engravers.php

Stephen Beckham
11-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Jason,

I'm three hours from Indy and started out as a turner myself. Now my laser takes up too much of my time to play on the lathe anymore... Bottle toppers are quite small and would be really interesting to laser.

You pay the shipping to/from and I'll laser a handful for samples... If it works out, by doing the samples I can get an idea of how much time it'll take = costs to charge for future and you get some free Christmas etching...

PM me if your interested - also - send me some knock-offs to try first to make sure they'll ride the rotary device correctly...

Steve