PDA

View Full Version : Fraud / Scam

Phil Garcia
11-19-2008, 12:38 PM
I was sent an email yesterday asking for a quote of 100 walnut plaques for an orphanage. I was really excited since business has been a little slow. Just before I hit the send button on the quote, I Google the orphanage, Continental Orphanage Home, and I found the following thread.

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-404-397-1969/2#pyJmhD_iiwQB2oAjLF6c_Og

Here is the copy of the email. rev.raylarry001@yahoo.com
Dear Customer,
My name is Rev Ray Larry The reason why i contacted you is in regards to the purchase of some Walnut Plaques i want to order from you.Below is my specification for the Walnut Plaques:
Size 8" x 10" I need the Artwork of the Plaques to be (God Is The Answer)
Quantities: 100 Pieces
I would need the Laser Engraved into aluminum plate on the board with the text engraved on it

I am Donating this Walnut Plaques to Continental Orphanage Home,I will like you to kindly respond to me with the total Pickup price of the 100 Pieces Walnut Plaques plus tax only.Kindly respond to me with the type of Credit Card payment you accept.Hope to hear from you soon with the quote may the good Lord richly bless you in
abundant for your support.
Thank You.
Rev Ray Larry

I am new to this forum and I want to warn all of my fellow engravers.
Phil Garcia
SR Engraving

Frank Corker
11-19-2008, 3:30 PM
Isn't this an almost identical post to something from a few days back?

Joe Pelonio
11-19-2008, 3:31 PM
Phil,

Other than not being deaf, this is exactly the same scam reported here yesterday.

Frank Corker
11-19-2008, 3:32 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=96953&highlight=scam

This guy contacted me third person (because he is deaf) through a service for deaf people to communicate over the phone. Has contacted twice via email since.

I always like to Google whatever I can about new customers. The name seemed legitimate:
http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:SZ7e03U_EeQJ:www.epaumc.org/AuMainAboutourBishop.asp+mike+johnson+reverend&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a (http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:SZ7e03U_EeQJ:www.epaumc.org/AuMainAboutourBishop.asp+mike+johnson+reverend&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a)

An article about a deaf reverend and his wife. I was convinced at this point.

Then I Google the Continental Orphanage and found this:
http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-404-397-1969/2 (http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-404-397-1969/2)

Apparently, some others have been contacted as well.

The initial email he sent to me is below. They seem to be getting increasingly sophisticated.

My name is mikjohnson te The reason why i contacted you is in regards to the purchase of some Walnut Plaques i want to order from you.Below is my specification for the Walnut Plaques:

Size 8" x 10" I need the Artwork of the Plaques to be (God Is The Answer)
Quantities: 80 Pieces

Am looking for Walnut Plaque Board and am looking for a metal plate on the plaque board engraved with the words God is the Answer and the metal plate should be solid black with gold letters.
I am Donating this Walnut Plaques to Continental Orphanage Home,I will like you to kindly respond to me with the total Pickup price of the 80 Pieces Walnut Plaques plus tax only.Kindly respond to me with the type of Credit Card payment you accept.I live in Ormond Beach Florida and I am on a trip no w,
Hope to hear from you soon with the quote may the good Lord richly bless you in
abundant for your support.
Thank You.
Reverend. mikehohnson

Frank Corker
11-19-2008, 3:34 PM
Do you know what I think? I think this Reverend is not really a reverend!

Gary Hair
11-19-2008, 3:41 PM
Do you know what I think? I think this Reverend is not really a reverend!

Say it isn't so Frank! Do you mean to say that just because someone says they are a reverand that they might not be? :eek:

Frank Corker
11-19-2008, 3:44 PM
True Gary, methinks there is something amiss! However on a brighter note, if anyone wishes to know how to defeat these scam artists, pm me your credit card number, passcodes and pin number and I will give you all the details you need to know.

Phil Garcia
11-19-2008, 3:50 PM
Sorry, I didn't know it was posted yesterday. I just joined the forum and trying to help everyone.

Frank Corker
11-19-2008, 3:55 PM
Sorry, I didn't know it was posted yesterday. I just joined the forum and trying to help everyone.

Phil no one is criticising you. You were right to post it, shows that you care, no harm done bringing to light frauds like this.

JohnT Fitzgerald
11-19-2008, 4:00 PM
Are you sure?? I mean, if it said he was on the internet (or the "interweb"), then it must be true.....right??

Phil Garcia
11-19-2008, 4:30 PM
Thanks Frank for the good word.
What kills me is that those guys using orphan's and the church to get over on people. Well, I gotta go clean my grid after cutting some cedar... If I get anymore of those emails I will let you guys know.

Stephen Beckham
11-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Hey Phil, you can hang on to the scam ones, but send me any emails for 100 plaque purchases that are real.... :D

Bill Cunningham
11-19-2008, 11:09 PM
I've had the same scam orders for fliers, stickers, decals, aluminum plates, plaques, etc..etc.. etc.. Always for something to do with a charity of some kind.. Just take their credit card number, and pass it on to Visa/mastercard/etc.. the person who actually owns the card may not even know it's been stolen yet.. Probably fell out of their pocket the last time they passed through Nigeria :D

Phil Garcia
11-19-2008, 11:12 PM
Sure thing, and you can send me the ones that are from a 99 on down. As long us Emgravers keep watching after each others backs with these guys I think we are up one!!! "LETS KEEP ON BURNING AND TURNING".....

Phil Garcia
11-19-2008, 11:17 PM
I like your quote....it's the real truth!!!!
"- I have been doing so much, with so little, for so long, I'm now fully capable of doing anything with absolutely nothing!- "