PDA

View Full Version : Cribbage Boards

Dennis Parrott
11-19-2008, 11:57 AM
I am interested in making Cribbage Boards on my CNC router. I was just wondering if anyone out there has experience with this type of item or if there are some other sources of information on the web. I'd like to make some as holiday gifts so the designs would be different depending on the recipient. I know it's easy enough to make just straight runs with the holes, but I'm wondering how to make different designs with curves and such where the holes are all equally spaced. Any info is appreciated!

Dennis

Neal Schlee
11-19-2008, 12:10 PM
Dennis,

I use CorelDraw to layout the holes, then Vectric's Aspire to add the 3D design & the toolpaths then output to the CNC. The total layout can be done in Aspire, I use CorelDraw because for me it's easier to do the hole layouts.

Neal

Keith Outten
11-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Neal,

I don't think I have ever seen a more beautiful cribbage board.

Neal Schlee
11-19-2008, 6:24 PM
Keith, Thanks!

james mcgrew
11-19-2008, 7:47 PM
neal that is really nice!!

jim

Dennis Parrott
11-20-2008, 10:04 AM
Neal,

That's some nice work there! Did it take long to make?

Being a relative newbie to this CNC stuff, I don't know much about CorelDraw. Is that an expensive program? Are there any other low-cost programs that will work as well? I've invested in Vectric's PVC and Cut 2D and am still learning how to use them. I thought those programs were a pretty good value for someone like me who's just starting. I think the Aspire might be down the road a bit when I get comfortable using the other products.

I was hoping to find a program where I could design the board, cut the profile out and then have the tracks of peg holes follow the contour of the board. I can't even imagine the time it would take to write the code by hand to drill all those holes! Especially if there are curves to follow. Any advice?

Dennis

James Jaragosky
11-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Neal,

That's some nice work there! Did it take long to make?

Being a relative newbie to this CNC stuff, I don't know much about CorelDraw. Is that an expensive program? Are there any other low-cost programs that will work as well? I've invested in Vectric's PVC and Cut 2D and am still learning how to use them. I thought those programs were a pretty good value for someone like me who's just starting. I think the Aspire might be down the road a bit when I get comfortable using the other products.

I was hoping to find a program where I could design the board, cut the profile out and then have the tracks of peg holes follow the contour of the board. I can't even imagine the time it would take to write the code by hand to drill all those holes! Especially if there are curves to follow. Any advice?

Dennis

I paid just under $200 for my full copy of Corel draw x3 about a year ago, it is a must for sharing files on this forum. It is a powerful program for the money, but there is a steep learning curve.
As far as laying out holes ,Coral draw will allow you to lay out this project in 2d but you will need another program to generate the g-code from your cdr. file. Or Vcarve pro can lay out and generate the g-code all at once but not in 3d, Cut 3d and Aspire can do the 3d layout and generation of the g-code necessary for the center price displayed as well as the hole layout.
I know nothing of cut 2d so it may have some of these capabilities as well, I am sure that if you ask on the Vetric forum that you will have a answer right away.
I hope this answers any questions you may have had. Or you may already know all this, in which case please ignore my unnecessary blathering.
JIM J.

Ken Dolph
11-20-2008, 1:50 PM
Thank you for sharing.

Ken