PDA

View Full Version : making money from laser engraving

bruno vanhenis
11-19-2008, 7:51 AM
I wonder how you make the money from laser engraving. what I meen is that I would like to start up a business engraving pictures on mirrors, acryl and wood. I already engrave pictures on gold and silver pendants that's a different processs. These I sell to jewelers in belgium. so I'm in fact a wholesalere. . I have the the experience to set it up, but my question is: how much do you ask a customer (a store that sells it again to the public) to engrave a picture on mirror, acryl or wood. To engrave a picture on a gold or silver plate I charge them 15 € and they ask 35 € (only the work, without the pendant). nobody has already said that I expensive, so the people are willing to pay that, but I don't know how much they are willing to pay for an engraved mirror.
You have to take in consideration that a laser engraver cost much more then my impact engraver.
has anybody expierence with this, or suggestions.
many thanks

Mike Null
11-19-2008, 7:55 AM
Bruno

Welcome to Sawmill Creek.

Since you already have a client list why not make up some samples and ask them how much they would pay you.

Mitchell Andrus
11-19-2008, 8:09 AM
Check out the competition.

bruno vanhenis
11-19-2008, 8:12 AM
thanks for the fast reply. I don't have a laser engraver yet. I'm looking what I need. Now I'm selling to jewelers, but I don't think that's the ideal group to sell engraved mirrors, wood and acryl to. I have been looking on the internet in belgium, there are a lot of companies that have a laser, but no 1 has a proper system to sell it to the public. I intent to sell to photograph stores, wedding stores, ... Has anybody experience with that.
Also, if you have a laser engraver adn somebody asks you to engrave something, you have got a standard price? or is it "à la tête du client" (french for you ask as much depending who asks)
thanks

bruno vanhenis
11-19-2008, 8:13 AM
nobody has a public system, it is always on demand.....

Mike Null
11-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Bruno

Mitch has given you a good response. Why don't you spend some time checking out the internet to see what others are offering.

We have some on the forum who do that but I think most are hobbyists. If not, they use the laser for many other things.

Joe Pelonio
11-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Most of my work is wholesale production jobs for other sign and advertising specialties companies. Without a storefront location with a lot of traffic the kind of items you are talking about are hard to find buyers for unless you do
establish a relationship with retailers. I'm currently doing wholesale sign and engraving work for a local postal/shipping/copy store, and working with a graphic designer that specializes in wedding invitations/programs to offer keepsake items and wedding accessories through her. Another possibility here is wedding planners. These people keep lists of vendors to buy all wedding related items for the bride and groom. If there are such people there, contact them and offer samples of keepsake items, table markers, cake toppers, engraving flower vases or candle holders, and anything else you can think of.