PDA

View Full Version : vibration damping

alex penner
11-19-2008, 12:22 AM
Newby question. I just found a general 160-2 to replace the Myford ML-8 my son has been working with. The base of the general allows the lathe to be bolted to the floor. Any disadvantages in bolting the lathe to a concrete floor? Should I place a dense rubber mat between the base of the lathe and the floor? Your input is appreciated.
thanks

Ken Fitzgerald
11-19-2008, 12:54 AM
The big disadvantage I see is not being able to move the lathe easily if it's bolted to the floor. THe other disadvantage I see is the floor will have a hole in it. It wouldn't hurt to put some dense rubber under it. We put heavy dense rubber pads under 20,000 lb. super conductive magnets to dampen the vibration that comes from the floors and walls of the building....HVAC fans running....etc.

Bruce Smith
11-20-2008, 6:28 AM
If you bolt it to the floor make sure the floor is dead flat because if it isn't there is a chance you can place undue stress on the bed of the lathe which wouldn't be good. Perhaps if you find that it isn't flat you could place steel shims under the necessary leg or legs. I have a lathe like yours but don't have it bolted to the floor which is concrete.

Gordon Seto
11-20-2008, 7:50 AM
Read somewhere that using roofing shingles instead of rubber between the leg and the floor. The weight would squeeze the material to form a custom fit but would not be bouncing. Haven't tried it yet. My lathes do not have their fixed spots in my garage.

Sean Troy
11-20-2008, 8:07 AM
I've been told by PM that bolting the lathe to the floor can damage the bearings from vibration. The VB 36 is the only lathe I know of that says you can and that because their bearings are floating in liquid. I would not risk voiding a warranty.