PDA

View Full Version : using a router to cut out a square...

chris fox
11-18-2008, 11:44 PM
I need to remove a square patch in the back of a vanity for water lines and p-trap/drain. The back of the custom vanity is 3/4 veneer plywood.
My router skills are somewhat limited - I have a 2.5hp Bosch combo kit and a small Rockler table with a dedicated 1.75hp PC motor. I have been pretty successful using my AIO clamp guide for dados etc.
I also have template bushings which I havent used yet.
I know using a jigsaw would be the logical tool but want to do this with a router.

So my question is, whats the best way to cut out a square using a 1/2 plunge bit and bushing?
- freehand cut(not likley clean/straight)
- use a guide route one side - set up the guide for the joining side and so on(seems to complicated and time consuming)
- a frame template(but again I need to create a square template)

Am I overcomplicating this? - seems way to complicated.

Thanks Chris

Wade Lippman
11-18-2008, 11:51 PM
It seems overcomplicated because it is a silly idea.
Use a saw of some kind.

Jamie Buxton
11-19-2008, 12:10 AM
The back is 3/4" thick?! If so, there's a pretty easy way to make a square template. You fasten four strips of wood to the back. You can screw them on to the back. The four strips of wood form a template, and the guide bushing on the router follows it. You might want to put a fifth piece of the template material in the middle of the square to support the router base and prevent tipping.

Bill Huber
11-19-2008, 12:51 AM
First I would use a smaller bit, a spiral 1/4 in. should do fine I would say.

Then put the scrap boards on the back of the vanity as in the picture and cut away.

Dewey Torres
11-19-2008, 12:57 AM
Bill got it... that's what I would have recommended.

It is that same process as recommended for router inserts and such...theoretically the same as your application.

Way to go Bill!

Doug Shepard
11-19-2008, 7:11 AM
Round pipes/Square Hole ??? Why not just use a drill ?

Matt Ocel
11-19-2008, 7:20 AM
Chris -

Your way overcomplicating things.
Use a hole saw, and if needed an escheon plate, unless I'm missing something.

Prashun Patel
11-19-2008, 8:53 AM
+1 for a hole saw and escutcheon.

If you don't have a holesaw for yr drill, use a jigsaw and freehand it. The escutcheon will cover any minor imperfections.

chris fox
11-19-2008, 10:46 AM
I know using a saw makes since here - just looking at this using other tools and gainnig knowledge using my router. Another project down the road a hole saw or Jigsaw may not work.

The problem with a hole saw is I still have 1/4 ball valves on the hot/cold so using a 1" hole saw wont work it looks like a 2.5 or 3" will clear valve- no interest in removing the valves either.
But with the input from others and me overlooking this task I will just use hole saw use use router techniques on other project detail.

Lee Schierer
11-19-2008, 2:42 PM
First I would use a smaller bit, a spiral 1/4 in. should do fine I would say.

Then put the scrap boards on the back of the vanity as in the picture and cut away.

Bill's right only I would recommend a 3/8" or larger up spiral bit to keep from fraying the inside surface and to prevent bit breakage since you are trying to cut 3/4" plywood in one pass.

David Keller NC
11-19-2008, 4:00 PM
"The problem with a hole saw is I still have 1/4 ball valves on the hot/cold so using a 1" hole saw wont work it looks like a 2.5 or 3" will clear valve- no interest in removing the valves either.
But with the input from others and me overlooking this task I will just use hole saw use use router techniques on other project detail."

Maybe I'm missing something, but it's usually not necessary to remove the valves themselves, just the handles on the valves, which is a 30 second procedure with a screwdriver. Just my thought, but the smaller the hole in the back of a vanity cabinet, the better. Large cut-outs allow things stored in the cabinet to fall down in between the cabinet back and the wall when you're reaching around under there.

Marlow Wilson
02-17-2009, 1:33 PM
I know this is an old thread but I just fell on it while putting together directions for something else (google found it when "square with router" is searched)... I thought I'd add my thoughts .

When building cabinets off-site, I'll often need to make a cut-out for an oven microwave or whatever (usually the edge of the cutout is covered by whatever required it) The back of the cabinet will often not be build in as other trades have to add stuff and do the final hookup (gas, electrical, even speaker wire in one case)
A cabinet without the back and front is kind of weak (for shipping and to have sitting around a job site), so instead of making the opening off-site, I'll pass a router (3/8") part way through with a jig. This marks out the square or whatever it is, and then a quick zip around with a jig saw cuts out the remaining bit on site.

Now what I was trying to search for, was a quick way to make something like this
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e84/hittinskinz/DSC00525.jpg
(The squares holes) with the help of only relatively skilled labour. I need to make a lot of them, so being able to do it with a jig into plywood would be nice.

Cheers and thanks,
Marlow