PDA

View Full Version : Euro's Worth more than a Euro

Jon Lanier
11-18-2008, 11:44 PM
(((Update, I went ahead and attached the photo's, some people are not seeing the curly pen.)))

Hey, just trying to come up with something new for a heading.

Here is 2 of 10 Euro's I've done. One is Dyed Blue Boxe Elder with a CSUSA Nickle plating. And the other is "some kind of wood" that is curly. I know its not Maple, I got it is a blank swap. I wanted to make the curl pop better than what is was appearing so I used black analine dye, sanded down and then some light walnut dye, sanded down and repeated several times. Both are finished with plexi.

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/1425/boxeldereuroyl6.jpg

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/9260/curlysomethingpengf0.jpg

Ken Fitzgerald
11-18-2008, 11:51 PM
Jon,

Beautiful pens.

Question about your plexi. Is it watery...rather than thick or syrupy?

Jon Lanier
11-19-2008, 12:03 AM
Jon,

Beautiful pens.

Question about your plexi. Is it watery...rather than thick or syrupy?

Hey Ken,

This past Saturday I went to our states IAP meeting and someone did a demo on their version of a plexi-finish. Made me re-think the way I was trying it when I gave it up. So, back to the drawing board, I did thin it out the mix quite a bit, I'd say just a little thicker than thin CA. I used one of the little baggies over my finger as my applicator and went on top of the pen, not down. And just kept reloading and going over the top until I was happy. Let it spin for a little while and I was good to go.

I did notice that after MM sanding that if I started to get 'white' spec's I'd dab it with thin CA.... and continue on. Seemed to work.

David Drickhamer
11-19-2008, 11:34 AM
Nice looking pen. I'll have to learn more about that finish. I've never heard of it before.
Dave

Steve Schlumpf
11-19-2008, 8:01 PM
Jon - both are great looking pens! The dyed blue box elder is amazing with all the color variations but the curly really caught my eye! You did a great job on bringing the curl out! Amazing pen! Seriously nice work on both! Thanks for sharing!