PDA

View Full Version : Night Stands Finished

Leigh Betsch
11-18-2008, 11:41 PM
Put the final touch on a couple of cherry night stands. Brass and maple (dyed black) drawer pulls that I built. Every piece I make has some sort of metal accent, kinda like putting on the jewelry.
Wood finish is dye and hand rubbed film finish, no blotching of the curly cherry at all.

John Keeton
11-19-2008, 6:13 AM
Not my style, but they look great! Nice job on the finish, and the dyed maple turned out extremely well.

Leigh Betsch
11-19-2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks. My style has always been a bit off from most normal people. But that's ok with me. Probably why I can't ever find anything I like, gotta make most things. ;)

Khalid Khattak
11-19-2008, 11:05 PM
thats look really great:)

John Keeton
11-20-2008, 6:56 AM
My style has always been a bit off from most normal people.
"Normalcy" is a term used to describe the masses. Unfortunately, it is rarely used in reference to true talent, genius, artisitic creativity, etc. I wouldn't worry about fitting in with "normal people." You seem to be doing fine where you are.

Jim Becker
11-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Looks wonderful, Leigh!

gary Zimmel
11-20-2008, 11:08 AM
Great job on the night stand Leigh.

Extra points for the hand built pulls.

Ken Werner
11-20-2008, 11:19 AM
Looks very good Leigh. Did you leave enough open stoarge for WWing mags and books? Could you describe how you dyed the maple?

Thanks for the post.
Ken

Prashun Patel
11-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Beautiful finish. The dyed maple looks like granite!

Dewey Torres
11-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Contrast works very well. Thanks for sharing.

Tim Plantz
11-20-2008, 12:18 PM
Beautiful Leigh! And I'm with Ken, please let us know more about how you dyed and finished this great piece.

Leigh Betsch
11-20-2008, 1:19 PM
thanks for the compliments. If inferring that anyone one here is "normal" was and insult I appoligize.
If you can follow this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=840717#post840717 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=840717#post840717)
The final entry I explain what I did to finish the pieces. Before I applied the Black EM8000 sealer and the Black USL lacquer, I applied 5 or 6 coats of Trans Tint black dye mixed with alcohol. I use alcohol instead of water because it doesn't raise the grain and it dries so fast so I can just keep recoating. I finished everything in pieces and assembled the units afterword so I could keep the black from getting into the cherry finish. Because I finished everything before assembling you can see the joint lines in the black maple frame. I knew this would happen so I used Trans Tint dye before the black sealer and black lacquer just to make sure the end grain would get good and black and not leave a white joint line. I leveled the surfaces with various grades of sandpaper and finished by hand rubbing with polishing compounds to a dead flat no orange peel finish.
I did cheat a bit on the drawer pulls. I used Trans Tint and alcohol to dye the maple and then used a rattle can of Borg clear gloss lacquer to finish. I then used alcohol to strip the clear lacquer off the brass.
The high gloss hand rubbed film finish is a lot of work but I like the clarity and depth it gives to the cherry.

Don Bullock
11-20-2008, 9:42 PM
I have to admit that I had the same reaction that John had. The tables are beautiful and your craftsmanship is superb.

Mark Valsi
11-20-2008, 11:13 PM
NOT MY STYLE either,

but very nice loooking !! outside the box, to use an overused trite expression

Mark Singer
11-21-2008, 9:05 AM
Very nice work! I like the style too!

John Thompson
11-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Very interesting contrast, Leigh. I wouldn't be too concerned about what "turns us on" so much as what "turns her on". "Us" just get a quick peek... she will critique it for well... till whatever do us part. That's reality! :)

Nice...

Sarge..