PDA

View Full Version : Finally Found My Lathe

Billy Tallant
11-18-2008, 11:28 PM
Been tossing up several choices for a mini lathe during the last few weeks. Looked at Ricon vs PSI Turncrafter. Looked at new Jets, but could not afford new one. Luckily this weekend came across Jet 1014(supposedly never used, after looking at it, definately looks new), extension bed, stand, 8 pc tool set, & new Delta dust collector. Explained could not afford package deal with dust collector, so seller agreed to sell me Jet & accessories only. Went to pick it up this evening & he agreed to let me have the dust collector for a few bucks more. Couldn't pass it up. So package deal is now sitting in my shop waiting on me to set it up.

Can't wait now to order necessary equipment to start learning how to turn pens...

travis howe
11-18-2008, 11:36 PM
Congrats... I'm not a turner (yet) but interested. Keep in touch and let me know how easy / difficult it is and other beginner tips!

Thanks!

Brian Brown
11-19-2008, 12:59 AM
Another one bites the dust! Welcome to the vortex. Enjoy the ride, there is no escape. :D:eek::D:D

Steve Schlumpf
11-19-2008, 7:42 AM
Billy - congrats on your new lathe and all the equipment! Looking forward to seeing photos once you get set up!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-19-2008, 8:56 AM
Billy,

Welcome to the Creek and the Vortex!

Daniel Heine
11-19-2008, 10:08 AM
Billy,

Welcome to the abyss. Start slow, but ease your wife into accepting your need to buy more tools. Many more tools. For pen kits, I would suggest Arizona Silhoutte or Craft Supplies USA. Good luck with your new lathe, you are going to have a blast!!!

By tghe way, better start saving now for the upgrade to a bigger lathe in a year or two. LOL.

Dan

Brian Goulet
11-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Billy,

You better watch out if you're going to start with pens...I started out with a small Grizzly lathe (which is now a shop ornament), and I have since made 500 pens, I have twin Delta Midis and I make pens full time...I can't even think about trying anything else I'm so darned busy. If you want to make bowls and things of that nature, then stay away from the pens. They're addictive!!!

Paul Engle
11-19-2008, 2:54 PM
Ah ..... hear that ??? yep the sucking noise starts reallll slow and quiet , then begins to build and build and finally to a cresendo .. overpowering even the noisest of families , friends ( Cept the Creek of course) and most enemies :D... Welcome and please be safer than sorry, if in doubt , get some help.

David Drickhamer
11-19-2008, 7:32 PM
Turning is like a being in a funnel. Once your in you can't get out. You keep sliding farther and farther. There is no bottom to the slippery slope and there's no escape.
Welcome, enjoy and be safe.

We expect pictures.

Dave

Andrew Derhammer
11-19-2008, 8:08 PM
http://home.freeuk.com/jrknight/smileys/postpics.gif

Andrew Derhammer
11-19-2008, 8:09 PM
Sawmill creek Rule #1, No pics means it didn't happen!

Bernie Weishapl
11-19-2008, 9:35 PM
Congrats Billy on all the nice equipment. Sounds like you are just about set to go. Remember pic's.

Billy Tallant
11-20-2008, 9:49 PM
Sorry no pics. Had to work all day, then drive 150 mile round trip to pick up the lathe. So late at night & unloading things into the shop. Been getting home late from work. So will be setting lathe up Saturday. Should have initial pics then of lathe. Thanks for the kind words...Can't wait to get busy with it...