PDA

View Full Version : G0440 Arrives

glenn bradley
11-18-2008, 9:27 PM
Ordered last Thursday, showed up Tuesday. FedEx Freight rolled it right into the shop. The driver pointed out a small hole in box #2 so we unpacked the filter and inspected it carefully; no problems.

I won't get around to starting the install till after the first but I will follow my own advice and unpack and inspect everything right away. I will then re-pack it for safe keeping. I the mean time I can pick up ducting and such.

I wired an outlet with 10 gauge, breaker'd it for 110v and have been running my 1HP Delta there. All I have to do is swap the outlet and the breaker for 220v and I'll be set. That looks like one part of the plan that will work out. I'll post as I go along once the install starts.

Chris Padilla
11-18-2008, 9:34 PM
DC I presume?

Edit: duh, just had to click on the pic! :D

John Eaton
11-18-2008, 11:12 PM
Hey Glenn,

Let me know if you have any questions - the install of mine was fairly straightforward:

http://www.modusmodern.com/woodworking/cyclone1.jpg

Details here:
http://modernwoodworking.blogspot.com/2008/09/basement-shop-progress-pics-20080902.html

-- John

Ken Fitzgerald
11-18-2008, 11:21 PM
Congrats Glenn! May it serve you well!

I had the same type of service when Fedex delivered my MM-16. It has to be 100-125' from the steet to the shop over a gravel driveway. My neighbor came over and with 3 sheets of plywood and us moving them, the Fedex delivery guy offloaded on the street and wheeled it into the shop. He refused my $20 tip 3 times before I finally just put it in his shirt pocket.

Maurice Ungaro
11-19-2008, 1:21 PM
Hey Glenn, congrats on your new addition! We've been in the same boat in search for a cyclone product, and I'm glad to see you're making it a reality.
Good luck with the install, and here's to your health!

BTW, have you gotten an overarm blade guard? I'm on the wait list for a Shark Guard.

Chris Padilla
11-19-2008, 2:03 PM
Congrats Glenn! May it serve you well!

I had the same type of service when Fedex delivered my MM-16. It has to be 100-125' from the steet to the shop over a gravel driveway. My neighbor came over and with 3 sheets of plywood and us moving them, the Fedex delivery guy offloaded on the street and wheeled it into the shop. He refused my $20 tip 3 times before I finally just put it in his shirt pocket.

Are the FedEx guys even "allowed" to take tips? Some companies have a rule about such things.

Chris Padilla
11-19-2008, 2:04 PM
Hey Glenn,

Let me know if you have any questions - the install of mine was fairly straightforward:

Details here:
http://modernwoodworking.blogspot.com/2008/09/basement-shop-progress-pics-20080902.html

-- John

Wow, very clean setup, John! Now show us pics of it all dusty 'n stuff! ;)

glenn bradley
11-19-2008, 3:08 PM
Are the FedEx guys even "allowed" to take tips? Some companies have a rule about such things.

I'm pretty sure they are not. I've had to covertly hand it to them about three times to get them to take it as well. I guess I should ask if it will get them in trouble instead for forcing it on them, eh?

glenn bradley
11-19-2008, 3:10 PM
Hey Glenn, congrats on your new addition! We've been in the same boat in search for a cyclone product, and I'm glad to see you're making it a reality.
Good luck with the install, and here's to your health!

BTW, have you gotten an overarm blade guard? I'm on the wait list for a Shark Guard.

I've been running a PSI for about 3 years. The step down from 4" to 3" to 2.5" at the hood really hurts it. Once the cyclone is up and I can see what's what, I will deal with that issue. From what I read here, you will like the Shark.

Rick Moyer
11-19-2008, 7:16 PM
Hi Glenn, I see I can ask John for assistance if I need help;). I had pm'd Glenn earlier as I just bought this same unit the other day but I will be picking mine up in a few weeks (moving soon). With e-bay coupon and MS cashback it was too good to pass up. Like Glenn, I won't likely have it up and running before the new year sometime (again, moving next month).

Sonny Edmonds
11-19-2008, 8:45 PM
Hey Glenn,

Details here:
http://modernwoodworking.blogspot.com/2008/09/basement-shop-progress-pics-20080902.html (http://modernwoodworking.blogspot.com/2008/09/basement-shop-progress-pics-20080902.html)

-- John

I have a question John...
How come yours ain't hooked to no pipe, or hose, or nothin? :confused:
Are U jest usin it fer an air filter? :D

(Never pass up the chance to pull someones leg...)

Jim Becker
11-20-2008, 11:11 AM
Congratulations, Glenn!

Paul Greathouse
11-20-2008, 12:10 PM
Well Glenn, delivery is one area that Grizzly/FedEx Frieght definately has Onieda/UPS Frieght beat. I ordered my system Friday 11/07/08, it shipped on 11/12/08 and it shows a scheduled delivery date of 11/17/08. Looks like they missed that one by few days already.

I just checked UPS tracking and 26 1/2 hours later it is still sitting in the same location, A 45 minute drive from my house. I wonder if UPS is on strike?

On the bright side, when it does arrive, I will have everything ready to install. I ordered the cyclone and ductwork together.

My system had to travel from New York to Louisiana. Was your delivery closer?

glenn bradley
11-20-2008, 12:27 PM
On the bright side, when it does arrive, I will have everything ready to install. I ordered the cyclone and ductwork together.

I always try to look for the bright side. The condition doesn't change but I feel better about it. Take advantage of that extra prep time :D.

Mitchell Andrus
11-20-2008, 1:37 PM
The red/black handles... are for rotating the flappers????

Steve Clardy
11-20-2008, 1:46 PM
Congrats Glenn!

Maurice Ungaro
11-20-2008, 4:01 PM
The red/black handles... are for rotating the flappers????

Not rotating flappers, but a super cool brushing system that sweeps dust from the cartridge filter top to bottom. I wish MY new cyclone had that!

glenn bradley
11-20-2008, 5:05 PM
Not rotating flappers, but a super cool brushing system that sweeps dust from the cartridge filter top to bottom. I wish MY new cyclone had that!

Beat me to it. I was wondering about that whole little arrangement and its life expectancy. It is deceptively simple and well over-built so I'll hope for a long reliable life.

Russ Massery
11-20-2008, 6:41 PM
Doh! You could of have a Clearvue!;) Congrats on the new cyclone.

glenn bradley
11-20-2008, 7:38 PM
Doh! You could of have a Clearvue!;) Congrats on the new cyclone.

I was close but I was afraid it woulda sucked my tablesaw inside out ;-)

John Eaton
11-20-2008, 11:14 PM
I haven't had a chance to take some pics of the ducting - still placing some of the machines. Cranked things up to do a bit of bandsaw work and there's really so little dust there that it didn't even produce anything in the filter. I'll take some more shots during the next project (door and entry-way build).

-- John

Don Bullock
11-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Congratulations Glenn. I'll be interested in reading more as you put your system together and use it. I'm still at least a couple of years away from installing a DC system.

glenn bradley
01-03-2009, 3:26 PM
A Genie-lift makes this really painless:

There she is. Glad my garage-door-path study was correct ;-)

I really meant to post more pics of the lift and how helpful it was but I ended up a man short so . .. no photographer. I will post more pics as I go as the generous postings here by others has certainly been helpful. If I can post twelve pics and one of them helps someone, then it is worth the effort to me.

Ted Shrader
01-03-2009, 3:54 PM
Glenn -

Good luck with the rest of the assembly and ducting layout. Keep those pictures coming, I could be the guy they help.

Regards,
Ted

Eric Porter
01-03-2009, 4:02 PM
Glen,
I too have been considering purchasing a cyclone, but I wasn't sure of the fit. How close is the track of your garage door to the wall that you mounted your cyclone on? How far does the motor unit protrude under the garage door track?

Eric

glenn bradley
01-03-2009, 4:32 PM
Glen,
I too have been considering purchasing a cyclone, but I wasn't sure of the fit. How close is the track of your garage door to the wall that you mounted your cyclone on? How far does the motor unit protrude under the garage door track?

Eric

I had visions of positioning the blower quite a bit higher with the motor up between the joists. I could have done that but was unwilling to take on removing the garage door and rails and putting it all back on. I did fall-back to the 2HP unit as the 3HP simply would not fit.

The blower housing is about 25" square, The top right corner in the previous post's picture (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=105573&d=1231014378)is 80-3/4" from the floor and 10" from the wall to the right (the one with the door on it). Although it appears that I could have tucked it in closer to the rail, the path of the door itself misses by just over 1" as it goes up and down ;-)

The stand-off is to allow clearance for the filter. In my build the intake and the filter will be on the same side. The only issue is that the filter's diameter exceeds the blower housing mounting face, therefor the stand-off.

Other views:

Eric Porter
01-03-2009, 5:14 PM
Glen,
Thanks for the additional pics and explanation, it really helps. I assume you will still have room for the cone and dust collection bin otherwise you would not have mounted it that low, but are you going to have to make any modifications to those parts? I would love to continue to see pics so I know how your whole setup works.

Thanks,
Eric

glenn bradley
01-04-2009, 12:23 AM
Once the blower was mounted the rest of the install only took about an hour or so. The muffler seems too large for this unit but I will contact Grizzly about that. The hump in the filter hose is just there until I get the muffler issue resolved.

I added a long section of pipe to test. One coffee can of sawdust in, one can of dust in the bin, nothing in the filter bag(?). Its magic ;-) The remote works fine. Vibration is almost non-existent. I can go ahead and start plumbing while the muffler bit gets worked out.

Rick Peek
01-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Glenn, I'm trying to decide on a cyclone and how to make
it fit in my garage. Could you tell me what the actual foot
print of your unit is? The height is also a factor. Could the hose
from the cyclone to the chip collector be shortened slightly, say
an inch or 2?

Chris True
01-04-2009, 12:31 PM
I put mine up a month or so ago. It's in a closet with exactly 8 feet of ceiling height, there is 2.5" from the top of the bracket with the hole in it that sticks above the motor to the ceiling, 4.25" from the motor to the ceiling. It is mounted to a free standing frame I made from 2*4's and 2*12 mounting pads, I put the horizontl bolt pattern 80" off the floor which is what the instructions said, at that height there is only barely enough height to get the bin in an out so you can really shorten it any.

I've got mine setup with the inlet and the filter on the same side, total foot print from the outer edges of the stand to the outside end of the filter bracket is 57.5 * 31.5. You could possible thin the 31.5 dimension slightly if you dado'd the cross pieces into the legs.

Dave Lehnert
01-04-2009, 1:03 PM
I was looking at the reviews on Amazon and the two of the three were not good. Look forward to your review.http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G0440-Cyclone-Dust-Collector/dp/B00079UPSQ

Michael Sobik
01-05-2009, 5:46 PM
I also recently received and installed a G0440. I debated on the G0441, but I'm glad I went with the smaller unit. As it is, it's overkill for my small 20'x20' shop. I just finished up the ducting last week and finally got some work done this weekend.

As far as the fit, finish, etc go, the G0440 is top notch. The install went smoothly, everything lined up, fits perfectly, the unit runs smoothly, and isn't as loud as I had anticipated. The dust bin system and casters are great. The included remote is really handy. I especially like the fact that you can orient the exhause port either left or right and the intake port any which way you want. This makes for a really flexible installation.

My main trunk line is only about 15' long, and I have 6" drops and ports on all my machines so the performance is great. So far jointing and planing ~150 bd ft of lumber has resulting in nothing in the collection bag.

I have a Grizzly jointer and have been very pleased with it as well, so I expect the cyclone to serve me well.

glenn bradley
01-05-2009, 7:07 PM
I was looking at the reviews on Amazon and the two of the three were not good. Look forward to your review.http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G0440-Cyclone-Dust-Collector/dp/B00079UPSQ

I’ll look at this as good news so far. Time will tell and I’ll try to chime back in after a few months of use. I know my unit has the larger impeller and housing than the 2006 versions the two negative reviewers had. Whether there have been other improvements or not I am not sure but I will have to assume there were (?).

My experience has been more like Michael S.

Fit and finish is top notch. I don't know where Oneida got those "bad weld" photos, there's nothing like that on the machine anywhere (?). The nuts and bolts are a weak point if things like metric and SAE being mixed are a challenge; I pretty much got over that in the 80's. The bin latches have either been improved or the folks who have trouble with them never played in a rock band; they are similar to flight-case latches in operation.

Mounting the blower to the wall was the main challenge and I would recommend the Genie-lift to anyone who has to do this no matter how many friends you have. The 1/2" lags along with their washers will not fit into the provided slots. I assume the metric equivalent does (?). A quick pass on the grinder to lower the profile of the lag heads about 1/32" and they slip right in although it could have just been the particular lags I had.

I had intended to run some additional support in the form of guy-wires to help support the blower. Not necessary, the thing is amazingly solid. After mounting the blower, the rest of the assembly was a piece of cake. All holes lined up easily; there were extra nuts and bolts, etc. Ran a bunch of really fine dust and handfuls of chips and whatnot through it and no sign of any leaks but I was very careful during assembly.

The only other anomaly I ran into was that the barrel and cone are not centered on the blower. This meant that in my configuration (ingress and egress on the same side) that a 1-1/8" spacer was needed for the barrel support bracket. A block of scrap did the trick. The filter cleaner mechanism works easily but I can't say how well as I haven't made much dust yet. My filter brush came assembled in the filter and I have read that older units required the buyer to retrofit the filter with this mechanism.

Do not try to assemble this thing yourself even after the blower housing is mounted. It could be done but I doubt you would get the same results without someone to keep things aligned whilst you spin nuts and bolts. The large barrel gaskets can be tricky; I used little squares of double stick tape to keep them positioned while inserting the bolts. Wear headphones when you fire it up and make sure there is nothing lighter than a Volkswagon within 6 feet of the entrance duct.

I will be dealing with the muffler this evening. Has anyone else successfully installed the muffler on the G0440? I’ll let you know how it goes while following Grizzly’s recommendations as the muffler is way-large for the space it is to occupy.

Michael Sobik
01-05-2009, 8:52 PM
The 1/2" lags along with their washers will not fit into the provided slots.

I found this to be true as well, but only on the top. The bottom row slipped into the slots for me.

My barrel bracket did not reach the wall either, but my wall is way out of plumb so I just figured that was the problem :)

I was able to mount and assemble the unit by myself (including hanging the blower on the wall), but it was not easy. I used a 2x4 as a leg on the non-wall side, and tipped the whole thing up. I would highly recommend a couple of friends if you can con them into helping, though.

Glenn, I have the muffler. You're right, it is a _tight_ fit. I have a couple inches of flex on top of the filter assembly. It basically is mounted at an angle. Some silicone lube helps get the flex hose on once you get it cut to the correct length.

Michael Sobik
01-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Here're a couple pictures. It's really a tight fit. It just barely fits in there, and there's no way it's going in if you follow Grizzly's instructions.

Rake is a nice attachment, but not required:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=106098&stc=1&d=1231302019

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=106099&stc=1&d=1231302019

glenn bradley
01-06-2009, 11:43 PM
Thanks Michael. Griz tech support was insistant that the muffler not be mounted at an angle. This is from their email:

"We do not recommend setting the muffler at a 45º angle in the middle of the outlet hose. We have never attempted this process and therefore cannot warrant installation in this manner."

Seeing your pic, I went ahead and did the same.

Alan DuBoff
01-07-2009, 3:52 AM
I was close but I was afraid it woulda sucked my tablesaw inside out ;-)
Bigger saw is in order! ;)

Michael Sobik
01-07-2009, 10:47 AM
It seems to work fine. I don't see how they could've gotten the thing on there pointed straight up. Anyone else manage to get the muffler on pointed straight up?

Chris Padilla
01-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Why does the muffler need to be vertical (or horizontal?)? Seems strange to me.... My muffler (one from Oneida) follows the pitch of my roof: 3:12!!! :D

glenn bradley
01-07-2009, 1:02 PM
Why does the muffler need to be vertical (or horizontal?)? Seems strange to me.... My muffler (one from Oneida) follows the pitch of my roof: 3:12!!! :D

Made no sense to me either. Seems fine as installed. It was still an effort. Lowering the filter rails one set of holes would help but, like Michael, my blower is wall mounted; this makes shifting the rails down a field modification. I chose the easier method and really see no issue :).

glenn bradley
01-12-2009, 7:19 PM
Dad dropped by yesterday and helped me run the Phase 1 ducting. I have materials for a PVC 6" run to each of my main machines but that will happen after a floor plan layout redesign. I'm thinkin' . . . 2010 - 2011(?)

For now I am serving the TS, RT and BS upper and lowers via this layout:

The duct runs in front of my sub-panel but that entire section is easily removed:

Even when in place I can easily access the panel and even work on it to add more services if required. The removable section is just in case "someone" stops by who might care.

Its great to finally get some real service out of my TS overarm; it really sings now.

Even with all the jigs and jags I get really nice pickup at the BS which was lacking before.

Rick Moyer
01-12-2009, 9:09 PM
[quote=glenn bradley;1017511]Dad dropped by yesterday and helped me run the Phase 1 ducting. I have materials for a PVC 6" run to each of my main machines but that will happen after a floor plan layout redesign. I'm thinkin' . . . 2010 - 2011(?)

You're ahead of me Glenn. I bought mine around Thanksgiving with MS cashback and still haven't even picked it up yet. Grizzly has been great at being patient with me picking it up, but I gotta get up there and get it soon.

Rick Potter
01-12-2009, 11:06 PM
Nice clean installation. It was interesting seeing your muffler, and hearing that Onieda makes one like it. My gorilla muffler looks like an old shop vac bag, that is inserted in the top of the filter.

Rick Potter