PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Fan Options?

Ryan Cassidy
11-18-2008, 6:06 PM
Anyone have any recommendations on an exhaust fan for the shop? I have 16" on center studs to the exterior. 2x6 studs and it's got to be a 110v fan. Preferably over 800cfm and adjustable speeds (3spd). This is what I've found so far, but I figured I'd query the group and see what others have had success with.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/gcs/product/productInfo.web?infoParam.mode=1&options.parentCategoryKey=133&infoParam.itemKey=30018173&infoParam.altNumKey=&infoParam.picGroupKey=0#navPanel

BTW Quiet would be nice too.... :-)

Ryan

Rod Sheridan
11-18-2008, 6:41 PM
Well, conventional propeller fan and you're out of luck on quiet.

I have a squirrel cage blower made by Delhi that's about 600 cfm if I remember correctly.

It is quiet, and has a shaded pole motor with a variable speed "dimmer" type control.

It exhausts through the wall with a 6" dia duct and hood.

I would suggest that you look at HVAC supply places for for a good exhaust fan.

Regards, Rod.

Matt Meiser
11-18-2008, 7:41 PM
I have a big propeller type fan from Grainger that I found on Ebay a few years back from somewhere that was selling a whole bunch of like-new fans used for "testing." It moves a ton of air. If I recall correctly they make them in a variety of sizes so you might be able to find one to fit your needs. Or you could frame an opening like a window if its not too hard to get access to the inside of the wall. Its definitely not quiet though.

Ryan Cassidy
11-18-2008, 7:50 PM
Interesting.. Never thought about those. I like the idea though. Smaller hole in the wall too. I'll look into it.

You said they are pretty quite? Louder than a Box Fan? Curious as that's what I'm currently using and I have it sitting in the window. Looking for something a tad more permanent :-)

Cheers,
Ryan

Ryan Cassidy
11-18-2008, 7:52 PM
Thanks Matt, I'm trying to minimize framing if possible. Sounds like the big propeller fans are out. Trying to have something a little quieter.

Cheers,
Ryan

Leo Graywacz
11-18-2008, 8:21 PM
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1HLA2

Bob Slater
11-20-2008, 3:12 AM
In my shop I have an unused wood stove chimney (detached it in favour of permanent HVac system) Any have a suggestion of how to use it to vent? I was thinking of hooking up a fan to it somehow or maybe even channeling my 2HP dust collector output through it somehow, as the DC sits right beside the chimney. Are cage fans that mush more efficient?