PDA

View Full Version : Suspected Scam

Sean Bullock
11-18-2008, 4:31 PM
This guy contacted me third person (because he is deaf) through a service for deaf people to communicate over the phone. Has contacted twice via email since.

I always like to Google whatever I can about new customers. The name seemed legitimate:
http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:SZ7e03U_EeQJ:www.epaumc.org/AuMainAboutourBishop.asp+mike+johnson+reverend&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a

An article about a deaf reverend and his wife. I was convinced at this point.

Then I Google the Continental Orphanage and found this:
http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-404-397-1969/2

Apparently, some others have been contacted as well.

The initial email he sent to me is below. They seem to be getting increasingly sophisticated.

My name is mikjohnson te The reason why i contacted you is in regards to the purchase of some Walnut Plaques i want to order from you.Below is my specification for the Walnut Plaques:

Size 8" x 10" I need the Artwork of the Plaques to be (God Is The Answer)
Quantities: 80 Pieces

Am looking for Walnut Plaque Board and am looking for a metal plate on the plaque board engraved with the words God is the Answer and the metal plate should be solid black with gold letters.
I am Donating this Walnut Plaques to Continental Orphanage Home,I will like you to kindly respond to me with the total Pickup price of the 80 Pieces Walnut Plaques plus tax only.Kindly respond to me with the type of Credit Card payment you accept.I live in Ormond Beach Florida and I am on a trip no w,
Hope to hear from you soon with the quote may the good Lord richly bless you in
abundant for your support.
Thank You.
Reverend. mikehohnson

Mitchell Andrus
11-18-2008, 4:39 PM
When you have to wonder about the legitimacy of something like this, I always wonder also why a merchant local to the customer hasn't already gotten the job.

Chuck Thoits
11-18-2008, 4:54 PM
Call me dumb but how is this going in the scam direction? Short of giving you a bad card which you would get it approved before you start. I am just not getting it.

Sean Bullock
11-18-2008, 5:24 PM
Call me dumb but how is this going in the scam direction? Short of giving you a bad card which you would get it approved before you start. I am just not getting it.

Any money you may get from a card can be extracted from your account (even weeks after the fact) once it is found out by the bank to be fraudulent. But by all means, feel free to take on the job yourself.

Joe Pelonio
11-18-2008, 5:46 PM
The first sign of a scam is a free e-mail provider. Second, sorry to say, is the source being a reverend, that's become very common, in an effort to show respectability, sort of like the little old lady selling a car.The spelling and grammar are better than usual, for a scammer, but it still reads like one, not quite normal grammar and punctuation. Lastly, it's so much like other scams already identified in the items ordered, I'd not touch it.

Scott Challoner
11-18-2008, 5:49 PM
Search the posts here with the word "scam."
I think this one has scam written all over it.
I would think someone named Mike Johnson would probably speak English. Not only is his grammer terrible, he managed to misspell his own name. Twice.
These always come from a Reverned/Pastor etc. to make it seem like they are trustworthy.
They are always associated with an orphanage or other "Save the children" cause to garner sypathy.
The fact that he's "deaf" is a new one. More sympathy.
Call me cynical, but I met with my Pastor today about making brochure holders and almost asked her for the money up front (Kidding.:rolleyes: Please don't smite me.)

Craig Nickles
11-18-2008, 6:32 PM
i have one word for you....... scam!

Sean Bullock
11-18-2008, 6:47 PM
I agree with all the above. I guess what caught me off guard at first was the fact the I was contacted by a service used by deaf people. The person I talked to on the phone spoke perfect English. Mike Johnson was supposed to be deaf.

About an hour ago Mike Johnson called me. It was a miracle! He was able to speak and hear me. I used several choice words in our brief conversation, but before he hung up on me I did notice in the back ground a lot of chatter. Much like what one would hear in the background when a telemarketer would call.

I wonder how organized these people are?

Oh, and he had a very thick accent.

Joe Hayes
11-18-2008, 10:45 PM
I have been contacted 3 times by different individual using the deaf phone service. Each time it was for something different. Banners, plaques, signs.
Each time it was a Rev. "Somebody". Each I told the person that I suspected a scam, each time the operator told me "they hung up as soon as I asked"
Even the operators know this is a scam but tell me there is nothing they can say or do about it.

Recently had a friend who does a lot of Corporate sandblasted awards who got scammed to the tune of $7000.00 worth of glass awards. Nothing seem out of the ordinary to him except the customer needed them in a rush and he did not use his usual CC verification form to check out the customer. He admits that is where he went wrong.
Turned out the CC was supposedly stolen. American Express tells him he is SOL. The awards were shipped across the county. He is following up with local law where they shipped to, but he thinks he is out on this one.
Lesson learned you cannot be too careful.

Niklas Bjornestal
11-19-2008, 2:11 PM
Isnt it possible to use cash on delivery? I dont know how it works in USA but i would guess that the recipitant has to show some id-card when collecting the package.

John Frazee
11-19-2008, 4:14 PM
About an hour ago Mike Johnson called me. It was a miracle! He was able to speak and hear me. I used several choice words in our brief conversation, but before he hung up on me I did notice in the back ground a lot of chatter. Much like what one would hear in the background when a telemarketer would call.
Oh, and he had a very thick accent.

The country he was calling from was Nigeria. Scams are just about all those people do. As for the chatter in the background, they have internet cafes that have lines of computers setup. There was a Dateline NBC special about these. The best thing to do is just cut ties and be thankful you came here for answers.

AL Ursich
11-19-2008, 9:33 PM
If you fall for this one then standby for a on slot of new rush requests.....

Picture some guy :cool: at a computer in some overseas Internet Café Yell "I got a LIVE one !!!!".... :D:D:D:D:D

That is just what they do to make money. Saw the TV Special on it too.

The fact that you came here to ask is a VERY GOOD thing. I saw the post on the $7000.00 of American Express charges refused after delivery....

This is almost as bad as after the LA Riots I was in San Diego and you couldn't trust Money Orders as they looted stores and got the Money Order Blanks and MACHINES.... Looked real.....:eek:

Answer a "Make Money from HOME" ad in your local paper and it could be a re shipper..... They ship items to you bought with a stolen credit card and you send them on to a new country to Rev Jones.... Then the Feds show up at YOUR door with a TV Camera.... "I didn't KNOW you say"......

AL

Bill Cunningham
11-19-2008, 9:58 PM
HAAAA I collect the more unique ones in a email folder I've labeled Scam Letters.. I get sometimes as many as 10 a month.. They usually ask what type of payment I accept, and I always tell them that all Scammers pay 100% up front in Cash!!:D They never answer back for some reason..
Sometimes it's fun to play them, waste there time, and see just how far you can push them.. It's almost a sport ;)

If it's from a reverend/pastor/priest/monk/etc.. From a 'free' email address and it's something to do with "save the children/whales/homeless/etc.." IT'S A SCAM... and you ain't gonna make any money from it, so just play-em, and have some fun..

Ray Uebner
11-20-2008, 3:36 AM
Well I think we have all gotten these at one time or the other. I have played along with some of the to get the credit card name and number. I then call my credit card processor and have the contact the bank and the person to let them know that the card is stolen or number as it may be. They are sold or stolen and then shipped overseas and used for scams. I get about 5 or 10 a week but most of the time I just ignore them.:cool:

Frank Corker
11-20-2008, 7:31 AM
...........I get about 5 or 10 a week but most of the time I just ignore them.:cool:

Right, that's it, I'm not sending you any more emails matey!

Bill Cunningham
11-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Right, that's it, I'm not sending you any more emails matey!

Yer just gonna have to hang on to that poor dead womans/man/dogs/chickens millions of US Dollars after all Frank!:D

Sean Bullock
11-22-2008, 1:51 PM
I just got a call from a Mike Johnson. Different Mike Johnson? Calling from Chicago area. An older man with a mid western accent. The phone number checked out. Coincidence?
Now I am so paranoid.

Frank Corker
11-22-2008, 6:07 PM
I noticed that on your other post too and was going to pass a comment, but I like Mike so I thought I'd give it a miss.

Gene Hobbs
12-09-2008, 10:08 AM
Hey guys it looks like the fellow has changed his name. I got this today in my email.

Good Day

My Name Is Ray Martin And I will like to Order a Product Call Walnut Plaques And I need the Size 8" x 10" I need the Artwork of the Plaques to be (God Is Good)And Can you get Back to me with the Price for Each, Also I will Like to Order 50 Pieces Of It Can you go ahead and Give me the total Price Plus Tax But Without Shipping and what Method Of payment Do u accept As well. Can you email me Back with the your Phone Number and your Address Asap Thank you

Ray Martin

Gene

Bill Cunningham
12-11-2008, 10:26 PM
God is 'only' good?.. Even the Terrorists think he's 'great' .. Yup just going down the check list says 'Scam' !!