PDA

View Full Version : Engraving a Group of Signatures?

Lisa Luciano
11-18-2008, 2:19 PM
Hi Everyone,

I volunteered to help our local school with a fundraiser.

They want to engrave each 1st grade child's (printed) signature on the front of a wooden (oak) box.

I made sure the wood panel (20x34) will fit into our laser, and the wood engraves well. I have sheets made up for each child to enscribe their name, but I'd like to know what you think the easiest method would be to scan the signatures and group them together in one file to engrave?. We use Corel Draw X3 by the way.

Has anyone done something like this before?

Thanks for your suggestions. I really appreciate it!

Lisa Luciano

Joe Pelonio
11-18-2008, 3:54 PM
I have done something similar. If they cannot give a list with all the names on 1 page, have them write their names near the bottom of a page then lay them on the scanner staggered so that only the names show.

In my scan program I have the option of selecting an area to save, sort of a cropping tool.

You can do that and save each one as a number, such as 1.tif, 2.tif and so on. Then import them individually and place where they go on the panel.

of course an easier way is to scan them all in one file, run a trace, then use the vector file to ungroup, and choose each name for placement.

Mike Null
11-18-2008, 5:08 PM
After you import them you can use the shape tool to clip the white space and move them closer together. You may have to run a few copies within Corel but you can get a more balanced look this way.

Scott Challoner
11-18-2008, 5:16 PM
I've done something similar too. Have them use a Sharpie so you get a nice black line. This will help if you end up doing a trace too.

Scott Perry
11-18-2008, 8:49 PM
I have engraved a few retirement plaques along the same lines. I would use a white poster board the same size as the engraving surface for them to sign and then scan it in. Remember to block out any area you do not want the kids to sign. I had one that was ~20 x 34, I had to take the signed poster board to Kinkos to get scanned. Worked great. If you have to rotate a signature be careful to watch for that dreaded box around the sig. It will engrave. I had to erase it in Corel Paint. Test engrave on a blue or dark color poster board. Good luck

Lisa Luciano
12-09-2008, 9:06 PM
Thanks very much for your good ideas!

Lisa