PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Buffing System

Allen Neighbors
11-18-2008, 1:57 PM
To all those who have received my pdf tutorial on the Homemade Buffing System:
I have discovered an easier way to make the Center Core (axle) for the buffing wheels. In the tutorial, I said the inside of the 1/2" CPVC shaft is not quite 1/2" (the size of the motor arbor), and that it can be made larger by sanding, using 120 grit and a 3/8" wooden dowel. :( Too slow!
Today, while making some larger wheels (9") to use on larger bowls, I took the short piece of CPVC with pliers, and drilled it out to 1/2" with a normal twist drill on my drill press. I drilled it, blew away the pvc shavings, then did it again and again, 'til it slid on and off the motor arbor-shaft easily.:D
Another tip: I put about 6 or 8 layers of the cloth onto the CPVC axel, force them tight into place, and CA'd them, then added some more layers, CA'd them, and so on, 'til I had the full width of the wheel finished, mounted on the CPVC axle. Worked easily.
Just wanted to pass this on.

Don Carter
11-18-2008, 3:28 PM
Thanks Allen. I have copied your post to my "Buffing Folder" with your pdf in it. I haven't had a chance to try it, but I know it is just a matter of time.

All the best.

Don