PDA

View Full Version : New BORG plywood.

Kyle Kraft
11-18-2008, 9:09 AM
I was perusing the local 'nards plywood aisle yesterday and I noticed a "new" plywood variety for sale, something called Arauco ACX. They had 1/2" and 3/4" with one very good side consisting of some type of white wood. I didn't see the typical "Made in China" stamp emblazoned on it. http://www.coxlumber.com/arauco.html

Angus Hines
11-18-2008, 9:17 AM
THe name is ARAUCO. I have a few sheets of it but found that it has a lot of knots in it ( not on it but in it) see pic.

John Eaton
11-18-2008, 10:47 AM
That doesn't look so much like a knot as a mis-fed veneer that's lapped instead of butted. Ugh

-- John

Mike Parzych
11-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Out of curiosity, what was the price like?

Greg Cole
11-18-2008, 10:57 AM
I think the Aruco or however ya spell it is made of a pine species for the outer ply layers anyway.
I've used some for shop storage drawers. Definatley better than the far east manufactured crapola.

Kyle Kraft
11-18-2008, 12:17 PM
Around $35 for a 4 x 8 x 3/4"

Anthony Whitesell
11-18-2008, 12:20 PM
I found some AC of the same type a year or so ago at a local lumber yard. The face veneer is void free, but they filled the voids with some type of putty that I didn't care for.

If memory serves me, I believe that it's South American primarily.

Steve Clardy
11-18-2008, 4:47 PM
THe name is ARAUCO. I have a few sheets of it but found that it has a lot of knots in it ( not on it but in it) see pic.

Yep. Most of the cheap ply the inner layers are lapped over instead of butted together. Guess the big ply presses don't care what they press down.

Less labor to do it that way. I hate that stuff

Howard Acheson
11-18-2008, 5:02 PM

You might want to go to the Cox website shown above and see how their description of their product squares with what you show in your picture.