PDA

View Full Version : Relative geographical gloat...

Clisby Clark
11-18-2008, 8:48 AM
I was scanning the fleas yesterday and decided to try a tiny hole-in-the-wall that has produced a few finds for me in the past. I picked up an old rusty jack and was instantly turned off by years of caked on grunge and rust. Then I noticed good rosewood so I looked at the price tag- ten clams. Seeing what good wood has been going for on the bay, I grabbed it thinking I'd part it out. When I got it home I starting scrubbing and find out it's a type 6. Rust is coming off pretty good. Japanning will probably be 75%. Now I don't know if I have the heart to part it out. I know many of you wouldn't look twice at this plane, but deep in the heart of GA, it's a rare find (thus the title of the post).

Dusty Fuller
11-18-2008, 8:58 AM
I haven't found much of anything around here either. I did find an old woodie jack plane, thoroughly neglected to the point that checks in both ends had turned into cracks running most of the length of the plane. It also looked like it had part of a broom handle nailed in where the d-handle used to be. And they only wanted $50. Ha. The lack of accessible old tools here was one of the reasons I went to Maine for my honeymoon (the scenery and climate convinced my wife).

Dusty in Carrollton

David Keller NC
11-18-2008, 9:46 AM
Join the MWTCA and go to one of your local area's meetings. You'll find more good antique tools at relatively low prices than you or your wallet can stand.:D

Clisby Clark
11-18-2008, 10:52 AM
"Done did it" The next meeting is in February. Plus it's still fun to hope against hope to unearth that #1 in the wild for five bucks. That will never happen at a meet.

Johnny Kleso
11-18-2008, 11:59 AM
I found only a few planes local here in the SE ATL area

I found them at a loacl Pastor's moving sale.

Seems he had a garage full he moved 30 miles south already and told me all his flock know he collects planes and they often give them to him as gifts..

So I figuer not much hope looking around here now :)

David Keller NC
11-19-2008, 9:48 AM
"Plus it's still fun to hope against hope to unearth that #1 in the wild for five bucks. That will never happen at a meet."

That's true, but I find the prices for some things at meets to be well under what the item will go for on e-bay - the summer meet in NC had a gentleman selling a couple of North Bro's braces in good shape for $25 each, and that's a bargain.

Besides, shows like the Antiques Roadshow and e-bay have eliminated a lot of bargains at yard and estate sales - most people know that anything old might be worth a lot, and will at least check e-bay before they put it on the 50 cents table.

Jim Koepke
11-19-2008, 12:19 PM
I was scanning the fleas yesterday and decided to try a tiny hole-in-the-wall that has produced a few finds for me in the past. I picked up an old rusty jack and was instantly turned off by years of caked on grunge and rust. Then I noticed good rosewood so I looked at the price tag- ten clams. Seeing what good wood has been going for on the bay, I grabbed it thinking I'd part it out. When I got it home I starting scrubbing and find out it's a type 6. Rust is coming off pretty good. Japanning will probably be 75%. Now I don't know if I have the heart to part it out. I know many of you wouldn't look twice at this plane, but deep in the heart of GA, it's a rare find (thus the title of the post).

I have a couple type 6 planes that have become favorites. In my shop, there is actually a few bottoms for #4 type 6s with only one working at present. It is my go to smoother. There is also a #4-1/2 that sees a bit of use. I have bought a few planes cheap for the wood only to find there was a very nice plane under all the grunge.

Only real hassle with type 6 and earlier is remembering which way to adjust the blade. Most of my later planes have the big brass adjuster, so it is easier to remember who is who in the heat of battle against the grain.

jim

Dave Anderson NH
11-19-2008, 12:38 PM
I suggest going to one of Donelley's LFOD (Live Free or Die) auctions. We have 2 in Nashua NH each year, Indianapolis IN has 2 and there is usually at least 1 in western NY at his headquarters. Even a 4 hour or more drive is usually worth it. Not because of the auction necessarily, but all of the auctions also have large tailgate sessions in the parking lots. Quality and prices vary all over the place, but usually the first day on Friday has the user grade stuff and Saturday is or more collector oriented though sometimes there are good users on Saturday too. One year I picked up a lot containing a #40 scrub plane, a #4 1/2C, and a #5 1/2 for $40. The scrub needed dusting off, the 4 !/2C needed a good bit or electrolysis, and the 5 1/2 needed the blade sharpened. Another time I picked up 3 braces including a North Brothers for $25. All of tehm now hang on my shop wall and are great users.

Bill White
11-21-2008, 1:25 PM
I haven't found much of anything around here either. I did find an old woodie jack plane, thoroughly neglected to the point that checks in both ends had turned into cracks running most of the length of the plane. It also looked like it had part of a broom handle nailed in where the d-handle used to be. And they only wanted $50. Ha. The lack of accessible old tools here was one of the reasons I went to Maine for my honeymoon (the scenery and climate convinced my wife).

Dusty in Carrollton

I was able to pick up some pretty good stuff (hand tools) at Scott's Market down by the airport. Had to look close, but prices weren't too bad.
Certainly may have changes by now.
Bill