PDA

View Full Version : Mistake Gloat

John Hixon
11-18-2008, 6:53 AM
Ok, I am almost finished with new wood floors in most of the house. I rented a floor stapler, picked it up on Friday and want to return on Monday. That's a one day, $25, rental. What a deal. My neighbor was kind enough to help for the whole weekend, even though his wife didn't seem to care much for the idea.

Sunday evening comes around, he's gone home and I am putting down the last few boards that can be done with the stapler. When I finish that, I quit for the night.

Monday afternoon, after returning the stapler, I am starting to put in the rest of the boards with a finish nailer, and I look on top of the fridge.

A FLOOR REGISTER IS SITTING UP THERE!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Where does that go?

You can see from the picture how close I came to a major problem. The boards around it were the last ones to go down with the stapler.

PS: it's Bruce 3/4 X 3 1/4 Plano Plank Marsh pre-finished flooring.

Rob Russell
11-18-2008, 7:34 AM
Ya know, I'll never admit that dumb luck has saved my hide more than once - - - but it's a good thing it happens! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Don Bullock
11-18-2008, 7:44 AM
Congratulations on the floor install. That wood looks great.

You might want to use some matching wood register covers instead of the metal one. Your local BORG has them or you can find them on the Internet.

Ben Martin
11-18-2008, 8:18 AM
Good looking floors.

I decided to go ahead and purchase a floor stapler when I put mine in, cost me about $150. Well worth the price of not having to rush. Luckily the stapler I got can be used as an 18g stapler also...

Ken Fitzgerald
11-18-2008, 10:41 AM
There are a lot of times I'd rather be lucky than good. Luck seems to cover a broader spectrum.:rolleyes:

Lee Schierer
11-18-2008, 12:21 PM
Itmight not have been a disaster if you had covered the vent. You could hav elocated it by tapping on the floor or from underneath. Drill a hole somewhere in teh vent opening large enough for your flush trim bit. Your router with a flush trim bit would have opened up the hole to the size needed for the register.

jim sauterer
11-18-2008, 4:52 PM
put the same floor in last fall.really like it.i think i paid 2.49 a square.engineered floors were 3.50 to 6.00 a square.i think you will be happy.happy nailing.

Chris Padilla
11-18-2008, 5:30 PM
I assume you tar-papered over the register hole?

Steve Evans
11-18-2008, 5:35 PM
I did that once, didn't even notice until the HVAC guy pointed out that he was pretty sure that there was supposed to be a register there. Saved our butts by getting an infrared digital thermometer, turned the heat off and opened the windows on a cold (think winter in Canada) day for a few hours. Then when we turned the heat on, enough hot air came up the register to warm the floor enough that we could draw a line where the outline of the register was using the digital thermometer. That's the last time I rolled out paper and didn't punch the register holes right away.

Steve

Ryan Eldridge
11-18-2008, 6:27 PM
I had a drywaller cover over all of my outlets along a wall once without going back and cutting them out ... when I went to start painting I thought wow I remember there being a bunch of outlets along this wall. Luckily I knew how high I put them and one which side of the studs I usually put them on so it took just a few minutes to get them cleaned out ... made the drywall fit a lot better also.

Chris Padilla
11-18-2008, 6:31 PM
Ryan,

During my garage gut/remodel, I got in behind a staircase and noticed an outlet that I was darn sure wasn't on the other side of the wall. So I went into the house and running my hand over the drywall, I figured out where the non-cut-out outlet was.

I ended up removing it from behind as we didn't really need the outlet there. I figured this outlet had been covered for 25 years before I came along! :)

Jason Hanko
11-18-2008, 8:22 PM
You might want to use some matching wood register covers instead of the metal one. Your local BORG has them or you can find them on the Internet.

Whaaa?! Considering the forum we're on, shouldn't he be making them? :)
I made a few for our last house, they look really nice and dont take too long at all.

(Yes I know, talking smack with my first post...hehe :D)

Chris Padilla
11-18-2008, 9:03 PM
I made a few for our last house, they look really nice and dont take too long at all.

Not to mention no pics to back it up! ;)

Welcome to the Creek, Jason! :)

Matt Ocel
11-18-2008, 9:08 PM

Ya beat me to the punch line.

Jason Hanko
11-18-2008, 10:14 PM
Haha, yeah I know... like I said they're in the old house (we just moved), and I forgot to take the "after" pictures of the before/after bathroom remodel... D'Oh.
In related news - and to un-hijack this thread - theres a perfectly good hammer sitting on a stud behind the new shower surround of that bathroom... Set it there for convenience, forgot to take it back out before screwing and caulking the surround in. Whoops!

Thanks for the welcome, just found this forum... what a great resource!
And Ill be sure to take pictures of all future work to back up the boasts! Now where did all my woodworking freetime and funds go? OH yeah, my 2 year old and 5 month old...haha :rolleyes:

John Daugherty
11-19-2008, 6:45 PM
drywall guy covered up several outlets in my house also. Thank goodness we had done the wiring. It was still aggravating to have to fix his mistake.

Rick Fisher
11-20-2008, 4:50 AM
I have built 4 homes for myself. Only on the last one did I mark the floor where all the electrical outlets are.

Of course they didnt cover any this time..

Neal Clayton
11-20-2008, 5:54 AM
Congratulations on the floor install. That wood looks great.

or if you want to go absolutely over the top...

http://www.crafthome.com/subsidiarypages/registers/RegisterMainFramePage.htm

you can get them in cast iron, bronze, copper, unfinished wood, brass, and even solid black granite. they can also make oddball sizes in any of their 'turn of the century' designs in 1/8" plate with a welded damper on the bottom.

i had a ton of wierdo sizes in my house due to old coal furnace vents being converted to air vents and such, and most were rusty and paint ruined. had those folks make me stainless ones and powder coat them black to look like iron in the 'new orleans' (http://www.crafthome.com/subsidiarypages/registers/st/neworleans.htm) style design they make. good thing i have the original plaster lath to screw them to, though, i don't know if drywall would hold the darn things up as heavy as they are.

what can i say, i'm guilty of reaching straight into my wallet when i come across niche small businesses that make ridiculously over-engineered stuff ;).