PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
06-01-2004, 3:11 PM
Well, boy am I glad this weekend is over with.!!!! :D

I ain't oncall no more..!!!!!! Ya'll know what I did this weekend.....

So what did you do this weekend.?????

Best of weeks......

Jim Becker
06-01-2004, 3:17 PM
Drive. Eat. Drive. Family picnic at Cabin John park near Rockville MD took all of Sunday and much of Monday since we stayed over in the area. We also raided Trader Joe's before leaving Bethesda.

But I did get a little spinny time on Saturday making a few knobs for Jason and mostly completing a SW style hollow vessel, both shown below. I also got the top and bottom panels sanded flat for the walnut buffet project that is underway.

DVD of the week was School of Rock. Entertaining.

Scott Coffelt
06-01-2004, 3:51 PM
Movie Rentals: The Last Samari and Lord of the Rings III, both entertaining but I liked LOR III the best.

Bought my wife a new car - Infinity G35x, fast little booger.

Spread about 2 1/2 cubic yards of cypress mulch in an area behind our house (not even our property).

Watched Jimmy Johnson win Saturday night.

Started working on a corner cabinet (glass display) for my bar on Monday.

Got real creative and made three art pieces for the wall. Foam, Artist canvas and craft paint. I'll shoot some pics when I get them hung up tonight. Some more fused glass work.

Weekend went by quick, too bad the week won't do the same.

Chris Padilla
06-01-2004, 4:23 PM
EC Left cabinet is in progress and the carcass should be done by the end of this week...perhaps before the weekend. :D My wife is so happy! hahaha I told her if I can just get the carcass done, and fit to the corner of the room that we can have the new carpet put down. The carpet place has only been storing our carpet for, oh, 9 months now.... :o My wife is quite patient but the state of the TV room is grating on her nerves so the new carpet will make it look/feel nicer for a while.

In the meantime, I'll finish the carcass, then really tear into the garage to remodel it, rewire it, reinsulate, blah, blah, blah and get it more into shop condition. Most important is to get the DC up and going.

Check out the "faceframe" post I made last week. That thing laying on the garage floor is the cabinet (back is up, face is down). It isn't glued up (clamped to keep it from falling apart) but I have the two permanent shelves in and I have two more to fit.

Very frustrating thing I discovered yesterday: My pricey A1 grade maple 3/4" ply isn't all the same thickness! That sucks when you spend time to adjust your dado blade to get a jeeeest right fit. It is varying from the "normal" 23/32" to 47/64" to right on at 3/4"! Instead of adjusting the dados to fit (dialed in at a half-hair larger than 23/32"), I put a slight rabbet on the fat shelves to custom fit each shelf to the dado. What a pain.... Even all my borg Birch 3/4" is right on at 23/32"--all of it. Groan....

Byron Trantham
06-01-2004, 4:28 PM
Finished the left side of the sewing room base cabinet. Ma is one happy camper. I'll do the right one this week for a total of 12 feet of base cabinet to mirror the 12 foot wall hanging cabinets already done.

Kids cam over on Monday - a good time had by all. :D

Tyler Howell
06-01-2004, 7:10 PM
Great Weekend, Very productive.

Knocked down tasks like crazy, Played a little music. Helped the poor Damsel in distress. She was very appreciative. A little food and fun with the family. Youngest is home from school for the summer. I'm a happy guy!:D

Bruce Page
06-01-2004, 7:55 PM
Sold my old bandsaw on Friday.
Sat. & Sun, moved a lot of dirt on never ending landscaping project.
Kicked back with LOML on Monday.
Tuesday ordered new bandsaw. :D

Chris Padilla
06-01-2004, 8:04 PM
Whoo-hoo! All right, Bruce...another MM convert! :D I only wish I had something to compare. When you start out good, you don't appreciate it nearly as much...yet I still sleep fine at night! :eek:

;)

Ian Barley
06-01-2004, 8:20 PM
Managed to bring myself nearly up to date against my order list - 12 chairs made and out the door to customers.

Fred LeBail
06-01-2004, 8:48 PM
Not much woodworking for me this week-end. On Saturday a buddy of mine & I Kayaked the Mighty Miramichi river . About 15 miles worth. Cool but relaxing. First time out this season. Maybe pic's next time, depending on how confident I am about staying right side up.
We Canucks didn't have Monday off, But my "bill paying Job" is shift work (2days & 2 nites ,12hour shifts) so I did have it off. Did a call back(warrenty) on a really good job and that ruined most of the day. It's about 40 miles away. But more about that later.
Fred

P.S. back to work tomorrow

Bob Hyde
06-01-2004, 9:11 PM
Jim, I've always been pretty dazzled by the stuff you guys do on a lathe... this is no exception.
One of these days I'll have to give in and give it a 'whirl'... you can be sure that when that day comes I'll be here begging for help.
nice work!
bob

Jim Guy
06-02-2004, 5:48 AM
I'm with Bob. Never did any turning.
Would like to see a BEFORE picture one time. Also how much time to come to the finished product? I never keep track of my time on anything I do in the shop and maybe you don't either Jim, but just a ballpark figure.

Jim Becker
06-02-2004, 8:48 AM
Also how much time to come to the finished product? Time spend on a turning, start to finish, varies with the size and style of the object, species/condition of the wood, chosen finish and technique and the skill/experience of the turner. The vessel I pictured above has about two hours of actual turning and has about a half hour left for reversing, parting and bottom finishing. Since I finish on the lathe (final buffing later once the finish is fully cured) that time is hard to quantify as it's not a continuous process. Wiping on a thin layer of material (Waterlox in this particular example) takes only a moment and then you wait a bit before buffing/pushing the finish with a soft cloth. And repeat. And repeat. I work on other things in between these cycles.

The neat thing about turning is that you can have finished (literally) work in anywhere between ten minutes and ten days, depending on the scope and scale of a project. The knobs for Jason took about ten minutes each to turn and finish. Folks who do extremely detailed pieces with piercings, burning and other embelishments can take weeks to complete a work...not including drying time if something is rough turned first.

To learn more about turning, try to attend a meeting or three of your local American Association of Woodturners (http://www.woodturner.org/) chapter. You'll meet a lot of neat folks and see some work that will knock your socks off...all done by "normal" people.

Bart Sharp
06-02-2004, 10:21 AM
Spent most of the day Saturday playing with my daughter, then watched Lord of the Rings III. My wife and I were going to watch it by ourselves after Critter went to bed, but she was having a fussy evening so she laid on her mom's shoulder and slept through the movie.

Saturday morning I finished gutting my bathroom and bought the new shower base. I had a little bit of a chest cold, and the dust from the drywall and thinset being torn down about did me in. I spent the rest of Sunday and the first part of Monday laying on the couch like a slug trying to breathe. Wear a mask? Duh!

The good news is, the house is just a few days away from going on the market. Wish us luck!