PDA

View Full Version : Oh the Shame Of It

Doug Shepard
11-18-2008, 5:32 AM
I'm the owner and user of something shown on an Infomercial:o:eek::eek:
At least Billy Mays aint hyping (screaming) it but it's 5:15AM and I turn on the tube to catch the Weather Channel while eating breakfast and here's my WorkSharp 3000 closely followed by one for my DrillDoctor. This on the SciFi channel that was on when I shut if off last night. I suddenly feel sooo dirty, like I should step back in the shower.

Jim Becker
11-18-2008, 7:55 AM
I think our only transgression on "that side of the tracks" is Space Bags....err...well, we do have some OxyClean somewhere around here. But fortunately, nothing actually bought from the TV!!

jeremy levine
11-18-2008, 8:32 AM
Just to burst more peoples bubble's I've see a Kreg Jig Infomercial and a Fien Multimaster.

Rod Sheridan
11-18-2008, 9:43 AM
I'm waiting for Felder infomercials at 02:00AM.....Rod.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-18-2008, 10:17 AM
But wait...........if you order in the next 15 minutes.....................:rolleyes:

David G Baker
11-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Ken,
You stole my line. I was going to post the "but wait" line but you beat me to it.
I worked in television for most of my working life. For a year or so I put commercials on the air, I was totally shocked when the local San Francisco #1 station started running 2 minute infomercials in prime time. The sign of the times.

David DeCristoforo
11-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Hey... Are you "dising" Billy Mays? He's my favorite guy on TV. Much more entertaining than most of the "talent". Oxyclean... Kaboom.... Mighty Putty... The Steam Buggy... Zorbeez... How else would we find out about such things?

Doug Shepard
11-18-2008, 1:11 PM
hey... Are you "dising" billy mays? ...

yes i am. In case you cant hear this, you're not really listening to billy mays.....

:D:D

Joe Cunningham
11-18-2008, 1:58 PM
Hey... Are you "dising" Billy Mays? He's my favorite guy on TV. Much more entertaining than most of the "talent".

The most impressive one is that Sham-wow guy.

Bob Sanders
11-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Saw the Kreg infomercial recently... seems much more subdued and less 'in your face' than some the others. Actually watchable. I have to hand it to the woodworking manufacturers with infomercials in general (Fein, Kreg, Drill Doctor) Their infomercials don't seem nearly as ANNOYING as most others out there. :)

"SET IT, and FORGET IT!"
http://www.biography.com/images/database_images/popeil_ron.jpg

Richard M. Wolfe
11-24-2008, 12:01 PM
I saw a half hour long infomercial for one of the big furniture manufacturers once. Don't remember which one but they showed the steps gone through in manufacturing some of their line and I thought it was very interesting and, given my tastes in woodworking, entertaining.

Now if I just had a Pocket Fisherman in the original box, one of these days it might be worth something. :rolleyes:

whit richardson
11-24-2008, 12:11 PM
We still enjoy mixing up great things with our Bass-O-matic! Halibut malts anyone?

Matt Ocel
11-24-2008, 3:02 PM
Chia pet still stands at the top, with the clapper a close second.

David DeCristoforo
11-24-2008, 4:33 PM
SET IT, and FORGET IT!...

OK, I'm going to have to give it up about what a sap I am (well, at least what a sap my old lady is) but this is really very amusing.

My wife ordered one of those "Ron Popeil Toaster Oven" things. She was most impressed with the "Set it and forget it" bit that they chanted almost continuously through out the "infomercial". But when the box was delivered, the first thing we saw were these HUGE RED STICKERS plastered all over the outside that said:

NOTE! CAUTION! THE TERM "SET IT AND FORGET IT" SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN LITERALLY!!!! THIS APPLIANCE SHOULD NEVER BE LEFT UNATTENDED!!!

There was another one inside the box that went on to explain how dangerous this thing actually was because the metal box and glass door would get hot enough to singe the skin right off any body parts that came in contact with them and hot enough to ignite any combustible material left in too close proximity and how you should not really even leave the room while the thing was on. Maybe the slogan should have been "Set it, Forget it and You May Regret it"...