PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable 690 problems

Gary Benson
11-17-2008, 11:22 PM
I have had a PC 690 combo fixed and plunge base router for 6 or 7 years. The fixed base has always served me well, but I have never been in love with the plunge base. I recently bought the mortise pal and have had much less than satisfactory results. First I have struggled to center the guide bushing and tightening the motor in the base skews the collet relative to the plate/bushing. Spent plenty of time trying to shim motor relative to base before tightening. Second I get lots of chatter when making the mortises seemingly regardless of depth of cut making very rough and uneven walls. I am using a brand new spiral up cut bite from Infinity. The plunge columns or rods do have a little play, and there does not seem to be any way to tighten or adjust. I have just about given up and am ready to buy a different plunge router. Fortunately, I have only damaged test pieces at this point. Any suggestions to fix this one or which one to buy.
Thanks,
Gary

glenn bradley
11-17-2008, 11:26 PM
I went for the Milwaukee 5616-24. Their combo plunge base is smoother than many plunge only units I've tried. I also use a mortise pal and have good results. My.02.

Fred Hargis
11-18-2008, 7:51 AM
I have 2 690's that I always had problems centering (and keeping centered) bushings when using my DT jig. I, too, bought a Milwaukee 5616 and solved all my problems.

Gary Benson
11-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Thanks Fred. I suspected that the level of quality on this relatively inexpensive combo was not quite what I needed for this type of job, but thought I just might have been missing something. Looks like a new router, oh well.

Matt Moore
12-22-2008, 9:32 PM
This is bad news, I am just about to start doing the same mortise work.

Chip Lindley
12-23-2008, 2:56 AM
Try centering the bit in the guide bushing with the plunge Locked. Leave a little *drag* on the plunge lock as you push down to enter the stock. Results should improve, even if the 690 plunge base is not the best in the world.

Paul Greathouse
12-23-2008, 3:58 AM
If your happy with the fixed base on your 690 and don't necessarily need another combo set, the Dewalt 621 plunge is an excellent choice. It has through the post dust collection and has a very smooth plunge action.

I have not had the opportunity to try the Milwaukee but from all the good reviews it gets here I'm sure it would be a great choice if your looking for another combo.

In the combo department, I believe I have heard Jim Becker giving positive comments on the Dewalt combo plunge base.

I have 3 of the 690 motors and all three of the bases (Fixed, D-Handle Fixed and Plunge). I have nothing but good to say about the motors, collets and fixed bases but the plunge is not PC's strong suit.

The 690 with fixed or D-handle base is hard to beat for use with a dovetail jig.

Larry Edgerton
12-23-2008, 5:00 AM
That base was a poor design that PC came up with when everyone was coming out with cheap plunges. I have one, tried it once, and it sets on a shelf. The 690 is a good motor/fixed base router though.

If you want the most dependable and solid plunge, the 3 1/4 hp Porter Cable is in my opinion the best. They are heavy, but I do not see that as a penalty, but rather a asset. The bearings in the PC are huge. There is a reason that there are so many CNC machines running the Porter Cable 3 1/4 hp motors, they are just about indestructable and quite unlike the 690 plunge base, work well. One thing I like about them is the way they sound. a small thing maybe, until you run one for several hours. They just sound solid. If you are going to put a lot of miles on it it would be my choice. I have two that are 20 years old and still running, but I may buy a couple more before Dewalt screws them up.

I have a smaller Bosch plunge that I like as well.

Russ Massery
12-23-2008, 6:52 AM
I use a 690 plunge base with my Mortise pal and have no problems. Are you plunging to depth first then cleaning up after? If your getting a lot of chatter sounds like your moving the bit side to side as your going to depth. This will cause a lot of chatter especially with a small bit like a 1/4". Also a Rob stated in the instructions. This will cause a bell mouth slot. Which is small at the top and bigger at the bottom. Because the bit with deflect by moving side to side. You must plunge out the bulk of the material first. As for the guide bushing I found by taking a small piece of rubber tubing an putting on a pair of pliers over the jaws.This will allow you to grip the guide bushing much titer. At the bottom then tighten the with another pair on the nut. A tip I got from Pat Warner.

Jason White
12-23-2008, 9:13 PM
I'd email Pat Warner. Maybe a new sub-base might help?

www.patwarner.com

JW

I have had a PC 690 combo fixed and plunge base router for 6 or 7 years. The fixed base has always served me well, but I have never been in love with the plunge base. I recently bought the mortise pal and have had much less than satisfactory results. First I have struggled to center the guide bushing and tightening the motor in the base skews the collet relative to the plate/bushing. Spent plenty of time trying to shim motor relative to base before tightening. Second I get lots of chatter when making the mortises seemingly regardless of depth of cut making very rough and uneven walls. I am using a brand new spiral up cut bite from Infinity. The plunge columns or rods do have a little play, and there does not seem to be any way to tighten or adjust. I have just about given up and am ready to buy a different plunge router. Fortunately, I have only damaged test pieces at this point. Any suggestions to fix this one or which one to buy.
Thanks,
Gary